My glowforge came and it looks used... did yours look like this?

You can’t sell a refurbished machine as new. You can replace a machine that breaks during warranty with a refurbished one, but not as a replacement for a non-new, new machine. That said, defects in craftsmanship doesn’t make a new machine refurbished. It’s up to you if you want to seek a replacement by emailing support.

Wow, okay - so a clear tube means new? Mine looks orange to me - what do you think?
How did you know you got a referb basic?

Would you guess this is used? I understand they must test them but this is pretty darn yellow…

Yeah, I wanted to show the photos to other owners to find out if they got a glowforge that looked like mine. I know its a new product and company, I know they probably have V1 models from the Kickstarter production batch etc. that they also want to sell, but I also know that I was expecting a brand new machine. So, in posting the photos here i’ve learned a lot… didn’t realize a copper colored tube would mean it’s shown use!

1 Like

This is an interesting point.

if you send this machine back for a replacement. I’m not sure they are required to send you a new-new machine. If they claim your machine is new, you will likely a like-new-refurb instead.

It looks like my pro did after an hour or so

Check out my thread from a couple of years ago:

Hmmm wow, so the inner tube is also supposed to be clear, right? You meant that inner tube, that in my photos read as orange, should be clear - not the outer tube surrounding it right? I’ve read about fogging on those outer tubes.

If they screw up and send you a machine from the refurb shelf of the warehouse, they need to replace it with an actual new machine. I’ve seen much stranger mixups. If they did send a new machine with craftsmanship issues and they are willing to replace it, it needs to be a new machine.

If your machine breaks after a few hours of use, that is where the refurb machine may be a possibility. I’m only familiar with new can’t be refurb, not “when is it no longer new.” So how many hours of use it needs before they can do that, I don’t know.

2 Likes

This is like a news quote, you forgot the important qualifier.

Then they would likely get a refurb.

This was helpful - i picked mine up and see the same grease and scratches and the rubber feet are also coming loose…

I’m worried now if i have some old case from earlier testing that was just repainted, what else is not new in the machine?

How did they handle this with you? I’m pushing for a response before the weekend but they have not gotten back. Was your tube clear or orangish? Did you get a refund? A new unit (did it have the same cosmetic issues?)?

Lastly, in reading the thread i DO like that the refurbed units are actually tested multiple times, which can save me future headache - but I feel like i deserve reimbursement for this or to be shown that these features and “problems” cosmetically are on ALL glow forges. Can not tell if others have had the same experience, as i think some people will be so excited they will not even notice… but I feel like I’ve found so many, that I really think I was sold something that is not new…

Thank you!

I looked at it as If they claim your machine is new, they won’t let you send it back, therefore getting a refurb would be moot. Unless, the workmanship defects rose above (below?) an internal level that required them to replace it.

I agree that if they allow you to send back a new machine just to placate you, then sending out a refurb may be allowed. But I think they would have to indicate that is what they were doing, but in nicer words. A couple weeks ago I had a warranty repair on my vehicle done and the invoice said it was for customer good will. Not sure what was up with that.

And I’m not saying the issues documented above are minor or anything. This has moved into the hypothetical for me. I once received $300 off an appliance because the install guy pointed out a “defect” I could barely see, which he said meant it wasn’t new. I never would have noticed. It wasn’t a dent in the metal, more like a slight wave.

I was just warning them, they appeared to be a new user. Also, local car dealerships/shops have much more to lose from bad publicity, potentially getting sued, etc. With GlowForge we’ve signed away all our rights, likely even our right to sue, by agreeing to their EULA.

Yay 'merica.

edit:

Most EULAs, including GlowForges, have a binding arbitration agreement, that waves most of your legal rights and requires you to settle privately and then never be able to talk about it.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen customer good will in place of warranty before. It made me feel like they did because I complained and not because the caliper was making incomplete contact with the rotor resulting in rust pits. You know, a defect.

Good publicity, you will now recommend them to people. I understand totally, many customer first companies do this all the time.

2 Likes

As an update, they seem willing to send me a “new” machine - but now on to repacking it up, and waiting… I gave my phone number so we could resolve it before the end of the day Friday but they just followed up via email, so I guess i’m waiting till Monday for new information

Lorenzo

2 Likes

Another update - they are not respond to me or calling me, now i am getting incredibly pissed off…

Unfortunately they don’t call customers. I’ve had support issues drag for way longer than they should that could have been solved by a 15 minute phone call

2 Likes

I use a 3rd part app and can see email views, I see they have viewed my latest support ticket 3 times today, yet no response…

Almost like it’s a company where different levels of employees have to get approval to do a replacement…

2 Likes

Can that tell human views vs ticketing system processing? I hardly think they have someone monitoring one huge inbox copying and pasting to a ticketing system. Would rather think it comes in and gets the content moved to a ticket system that processes the information. Ran into something like that in the past, Gmail does something that causes the email to be ‘viewed’ at least twice before I ever open it.

1 Like