My Glowforge is full of water (condensation)!

So maybe someone can help me figure out a solution.

When I got home today my glowforge was full of water from condensation. I live in Florida and today was a particularly humid and rainy day. Having to vent everything out the window, mean that air temperatures outside can clash with my nice air conditioned office inside.

Now I have the window pretty well insulated where I installed the 4" exhaust port, but that doesn’t stop the humidity from coming in the exhaust port.

Short of installing an external exhaust fan that is always running (which I don’t even know will work), what are my options?

At this point I’m happy the glowforge wasn’t turned on, but now I have to wait for this thing to dry out before turning it back on…

Ugh! So frustrated right now.

14 Likes

Blast gate?
(I could never live on the east coast. Humidity is my enemy.)

15 Likes

I worry about the same thing honestly. I too live in Florida and when my Pro arrives I’ll be forced to deal with the same problem. At least until the filter shows up. Normally for temperature difference induced condensation the only thing I can think of is to match the outside temperature more closely. Either that or provide positive pressure going from inside to outside like you’re thinking with the fan. But, as you mentioned a fan as small as that may not be enough. If you find a solution I’d be happy to hear it. Best of luck.

4 Likes

I would hope there would be some sort of internal blast gate to prevent something like this.

Either way its something I’m going to have to add on aftermarket, which really defeats one of the many but main reasons I bought the glowforge. To be functional out of the box.

Sorry, just frustrated. :weary:

2 Likes

I haven’t had that yet, but I pull my vent back inside until I need to use it. I ordered the filter and can’t wait to see it.

You should probably send a note to support@glowforge.com and include a picture if you can.

8 Likes

Oh no!

You might look in to something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-Flush-Mount-Louvered-Flapper-for-Dryer-Vents-8212662/202647902 -hope the link works (I’m on mobile!)

5 Likes

I thought about that too, but my wife says that may not work because the dryer gets condensation inside on days like this too.

It worth a shot i guess…

2 Likes

I would but I already opened it up and frantically started drying everything.

I think your best bet is a quick connect/disconnect. My first thought was blast gate but unless something is air tight, it’s not going to work very well.

6 Likes

yeah, i’d suggest blast gate + leave the lid up and / or maybe add a dehumidifier to your work room.

alternately you can rig up a magnetic mount for a removable vent and only connect it to the outdoors when you’re actively using it (this has been discussed several times in the forum).

5 Likes

Can you make a removable adapter that fits in the window? This way when you’re not using the glowforge just pull that out of the window and close it up.

I’m in the desert so we dont have the humidity problem, but we do have heat, black widows that will take up residence anywhere, and other poisonous insects and animals that find their way into vents, so the vent gets pulled out of the door whenever not in use.

6 Likes

Thanks guys. All great ideas, I’m calming down now. Going to go into solution mode now.

7 Likes

Send the email anyway. Maybe we’ll get a “recommended way to avoid condensate in your GF” added to the manual at some point.

2 Likes

Yeah, doing that now. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, you’re potentially helping me too with that email :slight_smile:

I’m on the Space Coast.

The hardware store has (edit) exhaust caps and quick-connects that you can use to detach the hose during the day when you’re not there.

We have an exhaust cap and quick connect going through a small pane of acrylic that we used to replace a single panel in a lower window. (A little silicone caulk seals it. The flaps drop down and prevent critters and air transfer during the times when it’s not in operation. (It’s been working perfectly so far - it only opens when the unit is in full blast mode.)

I haven’t even had to disconnect it, and our humidity levels are right on a par with yours. Never had any condensation form in the machine.

Give those a try - they’re in the dryer hose connection section.

12 Likes

Thanks! I think that’s the approach I’m going to try first. This one just caught me off guard. Not even something I remotely considered

4 Likes

worst case scenario, you could theoretically buy a bag of the crystal kitty litter (get the stuff that’s pure silica gel without fragrance) and keep it in the laser (it can be dried out when saturated).

5 Likes

I’m thinking eventually an automated blast gate. Triggered to open when the Glowforge starts, and stops a configurable amount of seconds after the cut is complete.

1 Like

I understand the panic. H2O and electrons - bad JuJu.
Man, Do I appreciate living on the high plains of Colorado. Born in N.C., so I understand.
Along with the lack of humidity comes a corresponding lack of insects. A friend In Mississippi was telling me bugs aren’t bad there… you can sit right outside! :rofl:

1 Like