My Glowforge is full of water (condensation)!

yeah, i also felt like, regardless of whether it’s being used as designed, that was a very quick “welp, not our problem” with pushing it into an unsupported section. especially because this may be a not-uncommon issue, and many might not read ‘beyond the manual’ very much.

i don’t necessarily think that was the intent, but it does read poorly.

3 Likes

The manual should advise a blast gate as you don’t want hot air, humid air, cold air or critters getting into your machine and there is nothing else to stop them.

4 Likes

ROFL! :smile:

Just get a $6 exhaust cap with flaps for the end of the hose and some silicone caulk. (We use them all the time in the South, we’re not keen on air conditioning the back yard. Electricity is too freaking expensive down here.)

Photos of our setup:

IMG_2884

IMG_2888

All the flecs on the outside of the flaps come from the little spider that lives inside the screen right above the vent. He’s taking care of potential invaders for us so we’re leaving him alone for now. We’re venting through a screen and there’s no buildup of ash or anything on the sill, so I think it looks pretty good after several months of operation. There are some decorative grasses planted a couple of feet in front of that (blocking the view of it from the street), and they haven’t suffered from the exhaust at all.

Don’t spend more than you need to on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

yeah, this was the first thing i thought of; i was surprised to see it get sort of considered unworkable.

It may just be an optical illusion, but it appears that the screen prevents the louvers from opening correctly (hitting the screen). This will prevent proper air flow through the Glowforge?

Mine’s a standard cheap dryer vent with a flimsy flap to the outside. 100% humidity 90F outside and 71F airconditioned space inside. Zero hint of any condensation. Thinking someone has negative pressure in their home to get air flowing in.

6 Likes

It’s an optical illusion - they open up when the machine is operating.

Eventually we’re going to cut that screen and make a permanent solution, but for now, the screen is leaning out a little bit at the bottom of the sill to give it some room. (This is a temporary set up for a PRU.)

2 Likes

That is a pricey blast gate, just to have it automated. Many woodworkers say the aluminum ones made by Lee Valley (about $13 or so) work great. They lock open or closed easily with a twist screw. I would use a similar setup to what @Jules has with the mounting cap or whatever that is on the inside, but maybe add another section of PVC so you can have the blast gate on the other side of that. You could easily just shut the blast gate after use to prevent moisture from coming inside. Then, laser a cool little checklist to go over before you use the Glowforge each time, kind of how pilots do with pre-flight checklists. (Inspect machine…Open blast gate…inspect hose…etc)

3 Likes

I’m going to use a similar setup here in Mississippi. I guess there is no issue with the exhaust being too hot for the PVC? That was a question I had, but just had not asked or seen it addressed.

1 Like

Yea, I think @dan read through that a little quickly and jumped to conclusions. If the operating parameters mean that the ambient outside temperature has to stay below 76 and under 70% humidity, well then the joke is on us. I don’t really think that’s what it means and I hope support re-addresses this issue. @Rita

2 Likes

Yes I decided against the automatic blast gate solution. Too expensive and unnecessary.

@Jules I am going to try the dry vent solution, but also queue up a quick release system just in case i still see some condensation come through like we see in our dryer from time to time.

@rpegg, explain negative pressure?

@jrnelson I do believe the manual should be a little bit more descriptive. I will put in a support ticket as the humidity in my house falls within the safety guides humidity parameters.

5 Likes

No, it’s fine. The air is just cooled air with a little bit of smoke in it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cooled? The exhaust is room air warmed a bit by the heat from the laser tube with some smoke in it.

Good to know!

Long ago I posted some close up shots of the pane when we built it, but I haven’t been able to find it again since it was in response to another post…

setup

Sorry, the air being exhausted is inside room temperature air shooting out with the speed of the fan, with a little smoke in it. Since the inside temperature is cool (73°F) relative to the external temperature for those of us here in the South (98°F +) it is shooting out cooled air.

Better?

4 Likes

Negative pressure- Air wants to naturally come in to your house from outside. Usually because there is a kitchen or bathroom fan blowing out in an extremely well sealed home. That air has to be replaced somehow so it comes in the external vent for the Glowforge.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m saying. This is a problem.

This whole thing feels like we’re getting the flick and it’s blame the user because he’s not in Seattle where everything works peachy.

I ordered a filter anticipating this type of problem. I put the vent out the window when I want to use the GF and then pull the vent in every night for the same reason. I’ve got the same vent louvers that I’ve seen several other people using too. pulling the vent in does make the house smell.

1 Like

I think he meant “you can sit right on them outside”. The palmettos often come with saddles :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes! Man, any bug I can hear walking across the floor should have gone extinct millions of years ago. Palmetto - that’s an Indian word for ‘Giant Cockroach, spelled with a capital F!’

7 Likes

Put one out last night. He was done checking out the action inside. (Big ol’ 2 incher.) :grinning:

2 Likes