My horrible experience should be a caution if you are waiting

Also, it explains the double bad experiences some have had. It’s like the birthday problem. Each person has a 1/366 chance of having a particular birthday. Given n people, what are the chances that 2 of them have the same birthday?

There is a 50% chance with only 23 people, and it reaches 99.9% at 70 people.

2 Likes

This reminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

But seriously, I live in Hawaii and was so worried that something like this was going to happen to me. I feel for you, and this makes me sick to see, but am hopeful for when you do get your foreverforge and the awesome light that it will bring into your home. Here’s hoping for the best! :facepunch:

(side note, that emoji I used is called face punch, but I’m using it in the positive sense of like a fist bump, although I’m sure you probably wanted to face punch the guy that tried delivering your machine broken!)

This video includes that last clip and so many more. I can’t believe that these delivery people would treat packages this way. The comments section includes comments from delivery people.

If you haven’t seen it, this is a classic and a must see… https://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo
“United Breaks Guitars”

3 Likes

I got the UPS notification last night. It is due in on Monday. #letuspray

The first thing I am making is a necklace out of the broken pieces of glass I scavenged up from the driveway. lol It will be so meta to make my first project on the Glowforge FROM a Glowforge. #butwillitlaser

28 Likes

Now that would be a collector’s item!

3 Likes

We haven’t shared numbers, but this is right.

It’s my job, and even though it’s sometimes rough… I love it!

5 Likes

I would wager that the money spent on redesigning the shipping materials has already paid for itself. If not, it will soon.

3 Likes

I just changed my delivery to pickup at the UPS hub. Thank you for the recommendation. UPS routinely delivers things to my house during this time of year after it is already dark, and they are very much over it. I suspect your experience may have saved at least a few people having gone through this, so thank you for posting about it. Had thought that changing to pick up incurred a charge or delay, but your cautioning led me to investigate further and realize it did not. From other postings, it seems like solo drivers and those without gear may have also led to a few GFs bouncing around “out-for-delivery” for days.

3 Likes

I spent some time with Dave Carroll at a conference. He’s a real nice guy.
He does Keynote speeches for large companies on how NOT to handle customers when things like this go wrong.

3 Likes

That the whole reason I wrote this. Lets hope they hold them as requested. I’ve seen people hold them and they still go out for delivery. Ahhh UPS. Lol

Yep, that what mine sounded like yesterday… your box at least had a big tear on one face, I didn’t see an obvious damage on mine.

Like laser up a :glowforge: shaped mold, scatter around glass and pour in an acrylic/clear (teal tinted for meta points) epoxy?

2 Likes

For @Dan or @Rita or anyone else who knows…If a GF box is delivered by UPS with obvious damage to the contents (.e.g, you can hear shattered glass rattling around inside), is the preferred GlowForge option for the receiver to:
a) refuse the package, or
b) accept it (noting the damage) and send an email to GF asking for instructions on returning it?

1 Like

The information on whether to sign/accept or not depending on condition is in the shipping email.

From my email in late October:

• Be home. We want to make sure it gets to you (and not a helpful stranger), so you’ll need to be home to sign when your Glowforge arrives. (If you won’t be home on the day your tracking information projects delivery, please contact UPS and arrange another delivery time through the UPS My Choice program.
• Give it a look-see. If your box looks damaged, examine the Glowforge before signing then contact us right away. If the printer looks damaged, don’t sign for it. Before the shippers leave, take photos of the damage and email them to support@glowforge.com so we can investigate and get you squared away.
• Don’t toss the Glowforge shipping boxes! Although we’ve done thousands of hours of testing, in the off-chance that you have a problem with yours, you’ll need the box and packaging for warranty service (in fact, you can’t get a warranty repair without it). You can always use the box to store the thank you notes you’ll get from friends who receive Glowforge-made creations, too.

2 Likes

Yeah, it says not to sign for the package if it is damaged, but it does not exactly say to refuse delivery. It does imply it because it says to take pictures before the shipper leaves. I am just looking for clarity, as during the holiday season delivery, it is likely more boxes than typical will be trashed on receipt.

1 Like

Agreed, the wording was vague. But pretty sure that if you refuse the signature you won’t get the package.

2 Likes

That is true for commercial deliveries (as mine will be), but for residential deliveries, from what I understand, a good number of the GF’s are being delivered and just dumped at the front door or wherever with no signature obtained

4 Likes

I met my UPS driver at the door and even inquired about a signature, he looked at his paperwork and just went, “uhhhhh no. no signature needed” and practically ran back to his truck.

1 Like

Odd. I signed for mine…

Mine was initially delivered the day after scheduled. The accessories box came on the scheduled day, but the Glowforge took the long way home.

My housemate was out when the driver attempted delivery. It was right at the start of the delivery window instead of about 1-2 hours later that seems typical for our deliveries. Left the note that signature was required and I got the notification via My Choice.

Surprise of surprises was that the driver came back later in the day to complete the delivery!

So I guess it all really depends on the driver.

10 Likes