My HS STEAM Class made Custom Ukulele's!

Started on this post and took inspiration and we were able to modify as needed to make custom Ukuleles! Def not a project for the faint of heart with students haha.

All lasercut on the glowforge, we are now 3-D printing all the other body components. If I can somehow 3-D print the tuners the only thing we would need to purchase is strings for like 5 bucks…

52 Likes

They’re awesome!!

12 Likes

Your HS is way cooler than mine was :slight_smile:

14 Likes

That’s astounding! I should say you and your students are astounding!

During mid-2020, with all the working from home, there was a cottage industry of facilitated group activities, where everyone got on a call and did a wine tasting or wok cooking or flower arranging “together”, to try to keep the team morale going. I signed up for “make your own ukulele”, which meant we got a box with a cheap unfinished ukulele and some craft paints. I’m bringing this up because half a dozen tech workers on a video conference just painting in their own homes managed to be chaotic enough.

21 Likes

Got any audio? This is great.

11 Likes

That is just amazing. Congrats!

9 Likes

These are amazing. My daughter would be in heaven with every part of that!

11 Likes

What a cool project! I’d be proud to take any one of those home to show the family.

10 Likes

Downright amazing.

Not that it’s a thing but if it were. I would nominate this post for top 10 of 2023.

14 Likes

Oh, but it is:

https://community.glowforge.com/top?period=yearly

11 Likes

Looks great

6 Likes

Wow! My post was inspiration? I am so deeply honored. This is what the community is for and what makes it great. Awesome job and congratulations on surviving the project!

13 Likes

Wow! I want to do that! Love that pineapple!

10 Likes

I love these so much! Last Saturday I was thrilled to attend our 9-year-old Grandson’s first ukulele recital.

Can’t wait to share your post with him!

10 Likes

These. Are awesome!

7 Likes

What a great project for STEAM students. They should all be proud of their work. Now they need to work on having a “jam session” with them. Kudos to you for making this possible for them. They will remember you and this project for a long time. Bravo! :clap:

9 Likes

I like 4, 9, and 10 the best. I understand the urge to go wild with color or flashy head so they stand out, and nothing wrong with that, but the calmer designs grabbed my eye…
Great project and all should be proud. Keep on making…

7 Likes

Incredible and inspiring! Kudos to you and your students.

9 Likes

It’s interesting you”d say that because I was surprised at how artistic and balanced most of them they were. For high school students (I’ve got some experience working with this population in creative spaces), I think they have some incredible conceptual designs. Few of them seem to have “flash” without substance and I think they all did an impressive job of turning a technical object into a work of art. Obviously we all have different stylistic preferences, but that’s what stood out most to me.

4 Likes

I’m so impressed with their artistic talent! Good for you for helping make this happen. How do they sound?

4 Likes