My laser tube just shattered!

That Hopper must be so full it is creating a shadow…

Still man, this is about you, i really feel for you, that tube bust must’ve been an awful experience

3 Likes

ugh. that’s terrible. i’ll echo other comments above, GF please make sure we understand what happened here and if there are things we can do to avoid it.

like “i found it in the last place i looked!” i certainly hope so, it would be foolish to keep on looking after you found it.

2 Likes

Holy explosion, Batman! That had to be terrifying.

Can we maybe get some cleanup safety info about the coolant now, since these things can apparently explode? You dont have to give us state secrets, just general guidelines and safety info would be great, even if it seems obvious.

2 Likes

I’m betting no. Easier now to replace the whole machine. I’d expect tube replacement is done in such a way to minimize coolant loss. In this case coolant everywhere - uncontrolled loss. It’s most likely a full machine warranty replacement now.

2 Likes

It wasn’t as a scary as you would imagine. It sounded like a old flash bulb or fluorescent tube breaking.

I took a few photos and unplugged the unit. I have touched since, I am waiting for official word on cleanup procedures. Some liquid run down the table and pool on some draftboard, but I think the masking prevented from seeping in.

1 Like

LOL, of course!
Kind of obvious when you think about it for a sec

1 Like

We don’t share postmortems on individual failures - but with thousands of units in the world, all sorts of improbable things happen. Please be careful with the broken glass, as the greatest danger at this point is you cutting yourself if you touch the pieces.

I’m sorry you were the unlucky one, @bwente. The CS team will be along shortly to get your RMA started.

Wipe it up and dispose normally.

5 Likes

i understand, @dan. but if there is something that we can learn from what went wrong, particularly from a preventative perspective, that would be useful.

4 Likes

@bwente I’m sorry for the shock! Sending email about getting you a new unit in just a moment.

1 Like