My LT project: Dominoes

(video shot, edited, and posted in 15 min, a personal record)

48 Likes

@dan this is almost hypnotic to watch.

2 Likes

Aaah it goes so fast…lol. Really cool to watch. Would love to see a static pic. What a fun way to do a domino effect…bet the kids love them…or did you save them for yourself and the other adults…lol

8 Likes

I’m kind of surprised that it works! I would think that those thin pieces of wood would be too light to fall over given the friction in the hinges.

4 Likes

This is awesome. How fickle was it to place all the loops glue or press fit

2 Likes

Be cool to make the track snap together - each “domino” on a base that has jigsaw puzzle type connectors so you could make different layouts than just the snake track.

9 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Very cool

4 Likes

Ohhhhhh… I think I want this! Haha!

3 Likes

SVG?

(apparently I have to type more text than that for Discourse to let me post it)

1 Like

Very nice! Now make one with the cows from the trebuchet project! Cow-tipping line !

10 Likes

Hard to tell from the phone screen resolution…

But it looks like the pivot point holes are not circles. Instead a “Fat S” shape that allows you to reset the domino run by just tipping it backward.

Certainly looking forward to making quite a few snap together domino elements.

4 Likes

Dan, in the domino field, what you made is called “cheating”. :smiley:

5 Likes

Omg I love that so much.

Exactly what I was thinking, kids would have a ball with that.

3 Likes

Great office desk toy!

4 Likes

Two cubicles down, That Guy™ gains an eye twitch from the constant click-click-click-click-click-click-click-giggle-shunck-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-giggle all day.

8 Likes

I second this. After watching for way too long, you can see the holes have detentes to maintain certain positions.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about the kids’ dominos that have pictures of fruit or other random things on them. You could make a sort of pseudo-flipbook.

3 Likes

Exactly correct.

I am a notorious cheater in all matters of toymaking.

V1 had puzzle pieces. Someone (maybe it was @shell?) pointed out that those both made it less flexible, and made it impossible to reset a piece by tipping it back and then sliding into place. So each section of 5 dominos slides around freely with no puzzle piece connections.

One idea I’m thinking about is an extra-tall domino - just one - you could put in line, and then legs to raise sections of track with the extra tall domino to ‘connect’ them.

3 Likes

This gives me a new idea for a triominoes project. Instead of three numbers imprinted at the vertices on a plastic piece, the triomino would consist of a combination of one, two, or three different materials, each with a number on its vertex. In addition to matching two of the three numbers, one could get special bonuses if the materials matched as well.

8 Likes