My Venting Setup

Uh-huh! I sure hope the little guy gets lucky soon, before I have to shoot him!

(Actually - i am seriously going to start burning material right before bed for a few weeks - my bedroom is right over the office. If it works, Glowforge will have another unanticipated function it can add to it’s already impressive list of functions - bird deterrant.)

Snortle! I wish. (Too tired. ROFL!) :laughing:

6 Likes

I will note, it does not appear to be a squirrel deterrent!

3 Likes

I might have some unfortunate news for you. Did training for the 8-year-old’s nature classroom on birdsong a couple days ago, and apparently as soon as a mate has been found the song switches to “I got a mate here! Nobody come sneaking around!” (And studies blah blah predation of eggs and chicks is higher for territories not audibly defended…)

2 Likes

Well, I’ll try just about anything…last year, it was over 3 weeks before our local Lothario finally shut down. I had time to order and reject a half dozen “humane” solutions, buy a pellet gun, get good with it, and get a couple of shots off at it (out of range for the pellet gun) before it finally found a mate.

I was a walking zombie. I’m only about 4 days in now…I can’t do this for another 3 weeks.

Gahhhhh!

A beautiful, professional looking set up! I’m sure a laser-made design of a vent with closeable louvers will get sketched out eventually.

Henry,

A big thank you for commenting on the ash build up. That is a great point and I hadn’t considered it.
It looks like I will end up taking the screen out after all.

Another great point regarding the bird house. Once my Glowforge is in place, I will surely find a new spot for it.

• Jason

earplugs?

1 Like

Very good work, @Secret_Sauce

Chuckle! Inadequate. Even with white noise machine on full. (Robust little set of pipes on these guys.)

laser guided aerial defense system!

1 Like

You know - I could build one of those gatling-gun rubber band drones that @dan demo’d. :smile:

6 Likes

Well, after seeing your woodworking on the window frame, I think you can just build a frame for the screen just like you did for the window above the vent… That would solve both problems…

4 Likes

As the louvers will only be open when under pressure the bugs should be kept out anyway.

Very nice design and implementation and it is a nice view.

1 Like

Carabis2,

The screen is intended for when the window is open (when I’m not using my future Glowforge) and I’m letting the nice outdoor weather in WITHOUT letting the pesky outdoor bugs in.
Opening/closing the window itself is super easy and quick, just like it should be.
However, it is a complete pain to remove or re-install the screen itself, so I won’t be doing that each time I use my future Glowforge.

2 Likes

Very well done. Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown. I’m going to need to do something like this, but horizontally. This is a great start, though.

1 Like

I’m in the process of getting my space ready for my Glowforge and until last night I had planned to use the same window as my AC unit… Now that I think about it, that’ll just bring the fumes back into my apartment. Haha.

1 Like

Usually you can change a window unit from outside air to inside recirculation so maybe not.

2 Likes

But they’ll be so much cooler ! :sunglasses:

:laughing:

3 Likes

Oh! I’ll have to look at my unit!!

1 Like

I had something like that on my sliding glass door when I got my first laser…it took me several months later to realize that while I had the spacer in, there was a space between the stationary side and the sliding side that small insects and spiders could come through. The rubber seal on the left side of the sliding door is only closed when the door is butted up next to the seal thats on the right side of the stationary side…
I ended up putting some foam seal along the opening since the spacer was semi permanent using a blast door to keep critters from entering through the vent hole when not in use.

3 Likes