My Venting Setup

And that’s why I wanted to keep my screen in place!

1 Like

Rather than start a new topic… while I wait for the UPS delivery van today, I am doing this:

Started inside with stud finder and then drilled one centering hole out to the exterior.

Got a bigger hole through the brick with a lot of drilled holes around the perimeter and then chiseled out the precise shape.
(Yeah, not so precise; but it’ll do just fine.)

Now to enlarge the hole through to the studio.

19 Likes

I cut a hole in my garage door. I have a separate single bay that I use for my shop. The drier hose that will come with your GF will have 2 spring clips to hold the hose. I replaced them with some clamps that I had on hand like this.

This stopped all smell while I was cutting. I also sealed around my hole with silicon rubber glue (RTV).

6 Likes

Dry fit is not bad:

I will use some silicon and make sure it is well sealed… for weather/ bugs and for fumes

19 Likes

My wife has forbidden me from putting a hole in the wall of the spare bedroom so my only option is out the window. I would much prefer the other way…

4 Likes

Thanks for reminding me to pick those up tonight while I’m at HD. I’m only getting a slight smell (when the lid’s closed), but I didn’t like the spring clamps at all. And they didn’t like me either. :wink:

5 Likes

ROTFL! :laughing:

Seriously folks, toss the spring clamps and go with the standard 4" worm-gear version (a couple of bucks at Walmart or big box home store) – you’ll save your fingers and your nose!

7 Likes

I thought I was going to kill myself with the spring clips. They kept springing out of my hand while I was trying to put the vent on the GF and outside connector. The screw on type are much safer for us old guys. :grinning:

7 Likes

Yeah, seriously… One of 'em snapped my thumb so hard I did the whole “run away from the pain” thing with jazz hand going to try to shake the pain off!

Yep! That, too! My “favorite” was when it flew across the room and landed directly in the litter box.

12 Likes

Absolutely. And I tightened them till they bottomed out with a nut driver.

Very clean looking installation. :grin:

1 Like

Yes to the real hose clips, no to walmart unless they’ve decided that leaving the edges sharp was a cost reduction too far…

1 Like

Do you have a link? I think I need to pick up a couple of these. As well as the ducting tape, dampening material for the hose, and probably a few hundred other things to be ready.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing @dwardio was talking about:

3 Likes

oh! I’ve already got a bunch of those in my shop. I’ve always seen them called hose clamps. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

I guess I’ve lived a sheltered life; I’ve only seen worm gear driven hose clamps, never a spring loaded one. Good to know I’ll need to pick one up.

1 Like

I don’t know about “need.” These work well enough. And I completely forgot about picking up normal clamps last night while I was at HD. But I did get magnet tape. My kids’ lockers are gonna be pimped da 'forge out in the fall. :wink:

5 Likes

True, I don’t have a litter box (a literal lol) so need may be a technical stretch, but yeah, I will. I have at least three more weeks so I’m bound to remember on at least one trip to the store.

1 Like

Does anyone know if it’s plausible to build a setup that would mix more external air in before exhausting for those who want to minimize smell through greater dilution prior to discharge without causing back pressure?

That seems complex. Maybe just an outdoor fan pointed roughly at where the exhaust comes out?