Mystery shading / dots on prints

When I go to etch something I am getting a block of shading/dots at the top of my print regardless of what picture I use. I have tried PNG, JPEG, SVG. The artwork is always clean, no dots, but when it u\is uploaded it has a mystery block of shading/dots at the top 1/4 of the print. Hive, any ideas? Would love to be able tp upload a photo.

Thank you all for your replies, you peeps are fantastic!

Welcome to the community. I beg to disagree…the artwork is not always clean. In raster/bitmap images there are very often artifacts…(your block of shading / dots)…that you can’t see. You will need to use a background removal thing to get rid of them.

4 Likes

Even if you start with a simple vector shaded square set to engrave?

2 Likes

So I have cleared the background in photoshop and its still there?

1 Like

If the image has ever been Jpg there will be those issues as that is an artifact of JPG compression. If you increase contrast just a bit and save it as a png it will help. Beyond that it can it depends on you tool and your skill with it. I use Gimp and that is always an issue needing to be addressed.

1 Like

It would help if you could upload the image that you were having trouble with, the most likely answer is that there is some very light color background left after your Photoshopping.

3 Likes

Here’s the image. As you can see at the top of my sons head the block of shading…

I’ve been on and off working on a picture of obiwan kenobi. On some test prints I noticed that the gf would wander waaaaaaaaay over to the side where there was nothing to print, and it in fact burned nothing.

However….

I went back to my editor program(Procreate on iPad), changed the background color and zoomed in and there were some tiny little just off white, nearly clear pixels that I had missed in my background removal.

I’ll export in either png or pdf. Never jpg. As pointed out above, making something jpg can do funny things in its compression and introduce random junk into an otherwise clean and good file.

That doesn’t seem to be your issue as that’s very specifically located along the top there.

Do you have layers in your image? Or masks? GF will not process masks how you want them. IIRC, GF just outright ignores and tosses masks to the side.

3 Likes

I always merge layers, and I think the answer might be not to use JPEG. Some tho I have saved as png and it still happens.

I’d actually meant the file that you uploaded to GF to ‘print’ but what you’re showing confirms that there is indeed something in that file. It may look totally clean to you in Photoshop but there’s some leftover data where those specks are that isn’t 100% white/clear.

4 Likes

If the image was ever a Jpg the junk will remain. Fortunately it is usally near the white of the original so if you can compress the near white to fully white the junk will go away. (This is true of all colors but backgrounds are usually white)
Garbage enhanced a bit to see how it is…

In Gimp you see and do as arrows show…

The result…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.