National Park

I implore you and @mccormickmary82 to both do Big Bend NP.

I do love Glacier NP though. The one time I’ve been so far, like @pubultrastar, was really hazy with wildfire smoke, unfortunately. But man, what an amazing place. Glacier NP is actually where I was at when I decided to start a puzzle company.

Edit to add: beautiful boards, @mccormickmary82 - both the engravings and the image selection.

5 Likes

It’s on the list. Well, they are all on the list. Would love to see Arches and Yosemite, but just keep heading back to Glacier. :wink:

2 Likes

I love your puzzles. Have you ever thought of doing 3-d puzzles? I feel like maybe there’s something there for nature/non-architect puzzles??

Big Bend to White Sands to Bryce Canyon to Arches to Zion. Just made you a killer road trip. You’re welcome :wink:

4 Likes

Speaking of Arches, you should read https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Solitaire-Publisher-Touchstone-Reprint/dp/B004TW5PRI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=desert+solitaire&qid=1584764591&sr=8-3

1 Like

thanks :slight_smile: kind of. Depends on where type of 3D you mean. I did a 3D engraved and painted puzzle once:

What i would really, really like to do is save up for a UV printer and do textured puzzles on acrylic, since you can essentially 3D print with ink from what I understand — basically, building texture with clear resin and it lays ink on top of that. But, then you could feel the bark on the trees, the ripples in the water and so on. If I only had $30k laying around lol.

5 Likes

Added to my list, thanks!

Here’s another for the list:

:slight_smile: it’s actually a really, really good read. Very interesting to get the accounts from the first responders, and also people in the rescued parties.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s funny. There’s a Wikipedia page that I read extensively on all the deaths in Glacier, and then the one on National Parks. Then I read the page of all the most unusual deaths. . . and on and on. It’s a rabbit hole. I’ll definitely check this out.

1 Like

That sounds AWESOME. I also love love love your Lather, Rinse, Repeat puzzle. Seriously love it. I love it so much I hope you don’t mind me saying the charring bugs me on it. You can “wash” wood with regular dishsoap to remove the charring. I just recommend putting a fan on it to dry quickly. You’re usually fine air drying if you wipe it down first. Also taking a hand sander to engraving like this with a fine sandpaper will bring out way more detail. It’s one of my secrets. . . I don’t usually share this but I feel a kinship with your work. I would totally buy a engraved 3d puzzle like this. Think rocks, rivers, nature scenes. I feel like you could “revolutionize” the puzzle, which sounds really geeky, but I love it.

2 Likes

Doesn’t bother me at all (that you said it) :slight_smile: One of the interesting perks of the char that I found out is that it basically serves as an under painting of sorts. Like a painter paints a monochrome layer underneath (first step) to help define values later - the burn largely does the same thing. Whatever colors you paint, take on different values from it.

I’m not a painter and I just dry-brushed that. I do actually have an artist lined up that could paint them all. It’s just really hard to get a 3D engraving out of a landscape photo. I got kind of lucky with that one lol

I use the sanding trick often, usually just hitting it with 220 grit - really great trick for developing more contrast and making things pop. Pretty sure that was before I knew of the trick though (that was wayyyy back in the day).

4 Likes

Gosh, these have to be the most beautiful cutting boards I’ve seen on here yet. Well done!

2 Likes

Gorgeous work! :star_struck:

Beautiful work!

Those are amazing!

These are gorgeous! I am trying to figure out cutting boards tonight. how did you get the machine to set focus and measure the material?

2 Likes

Arches I can vouch for and it’s very car friendly. Likewise parts of canyonlands. Moab is definitely worth the trip.

2 Likes

You can print in color with SLA printers but not the UV. As the world gets weirder I have not been back to finish setting mine up but I bought it because I was supposed to be able to do that.

Depending on the material charring can be eliminated entirely with a bit of bleach and then Hand sanitizer (that pushes out water and dries faster than water) and I usually clamp it till dry to remove warp though again different woods are different.

Not necessarily a 3D printer. Something like this: https://compressuvprinter.com/led-iuv-600s-printer/

1 Like