National Park

Since I’m stuck at home, and not sure how my business is going to go I might as well share some of my designs. I was in the process of trying to get our National Parks to switch over to domestic hardwood boards-made here. Almost all of them sell imported, or Chinese boards, which to me didn’t make a whole lot of sense. U.S. Domestic wood is responsibly harvest as it’s tightly managed. A lot of times with the imported exotic woods the methods they use to harvest the wood aren’t environmentally friendly-e.g. slash and burning of the rainforest. Anyway here’s my park series boards. The cutting board is on the backside, but the engraving can have food served on it, or be used as a trivet.

62 Likes

Those are very nice indeed!

3 Likes

Nice, and a good selection of parks.

3 Likes

Gorgeous work!

3 Likes

Wow, they all look so 3 D. They all look fantastic. :grin:

2 Likes

These are awesome. Please add Glacier, as that’s my favorite!

2 Likes

19 Likes

Thanks, those are great! It’s truly an epic place, and love to photograph the landscape there

10 Likes

I did 5 days in the back-country. One of my bucket list items for sure. It was at once scary and beautiful. We hiked swiftcurrent pass the day they opened it for the season, with a thunderstorm coming in hot. We almost got blown off the mountain pass with our packs. They hadn’t had crews out to work on the switchbacks yet, and they were pretty rough to say the least. I was in fear for my life. Now whenever something scares me I think back on this and whatever it is I’m scared of usually pales in comparison.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if other parks have this, but love the fact that they have an in-park astronomer, and gatherings to view the skies. Last time I was there, it was during wildfires, so everything was hazy. I’d love to go back someday, but unfortunately my hiking days are over.

2 Likes

I know there is a Night Sky organization that does events away from light pollution.

2 Likes

I implore you and @mccormickmary82 to both do Big Bend NP.

I do love Glacier NP though. The one time I’ve been so far, like @pubultrastar, was really hazy with wildfire smoke, unfortunately. But man, what an amazing place. Glacier NP is actually where I was at when I decided to start a puzzle company.

Edit to add: beautiful boards, @mccormickmary82 - both the engravings and the image selection.

5 Likes

It’s on the list. Well, they are all on the list. Would love to see Arches and Yosemite, but just keep heading back to Glacier. :wink:

2 Likes

I love your puzzles. Have you ever thought of doing 3-d puzzles? I feel like maybe there’s something there for nature/non-architect puzzles??

Big Bend to White Sands to Bryce Canyon to Arches to Zion. Just made you a killer road trip. You’re welcome :wink:

4 Likes

Speaking of Arches, you should read https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Solitaire-Publisher-Touchstone-Reprint/dp/B004TW5PRI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=desert+solitaire&qid=1584764591&sr=8-3

1 Like

thanks :slight_smile: kind of. Depends on where type of 3D you mean. I did a 3D engraved and painted puzzle once:

What i would really, really like to do is save up for a UV printer and do textured puzzles on acrylic, since you can essentially 3D print with ink from what I understand — basically, building texture with clear resin and it lays ink on top of that. But, then you could feel the bark on the trees, the ripples in the water and so on. If I only had $30k laying around lol.

5 Likes

Added to my list, thanks!

Here’s another for the list:

:slight_smile: it’s actually a really, really good read. Very interesting to get the accounts from the first responders, and also people in the rescued parties.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s funny. There’s a Wikipedia page that I read extensively on all the deaths in Glacier, and then the one on National Parks. Then I read the page of all the most unusual deaths. . . and on and on. It’s a rabbit hole. I’ll definitely check this out.

1 Like