National Park

That sounds AWESOME. I also love love love your Lather, Rinse, Repeat puzzle. Seriously love it. I love it so much I hope you don’t mind me saying the charring bugs me on it. You can “wash” wood with regular dishsoap to remove the charring. I just recommend putting a fan on it to dry quickly. You’re usually fine air drying if you wipe it down first. Also taking a hand sander to engraving like this with a fine sandpaper will bring out way more detail. It’s one of my secrets. . . I don’t usually share this but I feel a kinship with your work. I would totally buy a engraved 3d puzzle like this. Think rocks, rivers, nature scenes. I feel like you could “revolutionize” the puzzle, which sounds really geeky, but I love it.

2 Likes

Doesn’t bother me at all (that you said it) :slight_smile: One of the interesting perks of the char that I found out is that it basically serves as an under painting of sorts. Like a painter paints a monochrome layer underneath (first step) to help define values later - the burn largely does the same thing. Whatever colors you paint, take on different values from it.

I’m not a painter and I just dry-brushed that. I do actually have an artist lined up that could paint them all. It’s just really hard to get a 3D engraving out of a landscape photo. I got kind of lucky with that one lol

I use the sanding trick often, usually just hitting it with 220 grit - really great trick for developing more contrast and making things pop. Pretty sure that was before I knew of the trick though (that was wayyyy back in the day).

4 Likes

Gosh, these have to be the most beautiful cutting boards I’ve seen on here yet. Well done!

2 Likes

Gorgeous work! :star_struck:

Beautiful work!

Those are amazing!

These are gorgeous! I am trying to figure out cutting boards tonight. how did you get the machine to set focus and measure the material?

2 Likes

Arches I can vouch for and it’s very car friendly. Likewise parts of canyonlands. Moab is definitely worth the trip.

2 Likes

You can print in color with SLA printers but not the UV. As the world gets weirder I have not been back to finish setting mine up but I bought it because I was supposed to be able to do that.

Depending on the material charring can be eliminated entirely with a bit of bleach and then Hand sanitizer (that pushes out water and dries faster than water) and I usually clamp it till dry to remove warp though again different woods are different.

Not necessarily a 3D printer. Something like this: https://compressuvprinter.com/led-iuv-600s-printer/

1 Like

Wow! and Only $34k but still can not create height but only print on high things. It makes $2k seem cheap, though material costs and time might get $2k in material if the build was full size that is available.

Actually, it can - which would be the primary point of having it :slight_smile:

https://compressuvprinter.com/led-iuv-600s-printer/3d-texture/

1 Like

I was thinking of printing the full 11 inches high that can fit in place. Relief effects are ok but at that price…

Looking at the way the cake decorations use dampened rice paper to unite with relief decorations on cakes, I have been wondering if the same might be possible on relief carved wood to make similar effect as that piece with no more than the Glowforge and a regular dot matrix printer.

Cutting boards are mainly what I do. I stick to a standard height and use the same old cutting board to bring it to exactly .15". I rarely do anything different other than standard plywood or hardwood heights 1/8" which I just select proofgrade cut for. I don’t even remember how to measure/calculate focus height because it’s probably been over a year since I did it.

Bleach and hand sanitizer are super hard on woods, and although I’m sure they do the job I would start with something less harsh which is why I use dishsoap and water. This is how everyone washes their cutting boards anyway. If you want something a little harder than this I would do a diluted vinegar 50/50. This of course doesn’t work on plywoods, and thinner woods are more prone to warping. If your wood has been leveled it shouldn’t warp. I have had instances of cured woods showing fungus’s after washing when I didn’t immediately fan dry them. It might have just been a bad batch of Cherry. But I always immediately dry or fan dry and haven’t had any issues.

These prints are absolutely lovely. The graphic are very cool and the wood is beautiful.

1 Like

The bleach can be hard and can look like driftwood if you leave it too long, but the hand sanitizer is no harder on the wood than it is on your hands and evaporates much faster than water.

These are beautiful! Love them!.. Where do you get your boards?..also starting with my GF… have any advice on settings do do some recipes on them?

1 Like

It would take a while and you would have to get a way to make the height maps, but 3d engrave in Acrylic is not difficult once you had those height maps. I would be in second heaven to be there to help, but probably in the first one or the other place to try.

Most useful I think would be a drone to get many images and make several 3-Ds of all the parts and then in Blender make individual height maps from the correct angle and composite them in a heightmap only carving image. that matched the color image but be only greys.

If you did say shiprock and a closer tree the distance between them would be much greater than the available comparative depth, but if you did each one and put them side by side at the correct location in the image the eye would make up for the highest point on the tree and the rocks being that same actual height in the material.

Here is 3d acrylic…

The engraving time is what takes long, that was one hour approx each side