Need cart recommendations to use with students (also do I need a case?)

Hi! I am an online public school teacher planning to take my glowforge on the road to meet with students in parks, gyms, and student centers. I have a mini-van and I am not strong.

I want a cart that I can:

• Load in my house
  • Roll loaded with the Glowforge
  • Lock in place to use the glowforge while on the cart
  • Fold up to place between passenger seats when not in use.

I’ve seen conversations about this from 4-6 years ago, but nothing recent when I search. Lots of links are outdated. I know other teachers have done this and I would love to learn from you all!

While I am asking… do I need a hard case as well? It seems like a lot of packing and unpacking… What have you used and did you break your glowforge?

Thanks in advance!
Shauna

PS: I also bought the filter package and would be great to have the cart have room for that heavy thing as well.

2 Likes

It should be boxed up and secured as directed:

Will you have access to open 2.4GHz wifi, or do you plan to use mifi or a phone for internet?

Depending on the material used, the filter cartridge can fill in just a few hours of use, so be prepared for the replacement cost ($250 plus higher shipping charges due to size.)

Can’t help with a cart but rolling it over uneven surfaces is going to introduce vibrations that will accelerate its demise. It’s a delicate instrument.

6 Likes

All that orange stuff and a lot of the foam inside the machine when you get it has good reasoning. If the car hits a bump or goes around a corner it puts forces about that can damage the machine. Also on a scary inside the car, you will want to have Bungee chords at least so it does not get extra forces it is not designed for as well.

Beyond that with large enough lockable wheels on a big enough cart and some sort of seat belt or bungee cord holding the machine to the cart, and a plan to not take it anywhere too hot or too cold or too humid, and a way to ventilate or eat the fumes in a filter. Then you should be ok.

Just remember that the Glowforge is an inside pet that feels apprehensive about strange movement or weather.

2 Likes

I really love this folding cart that works 3 ways.
It holds a lot of weight and folds up compactly to toss in a car. The flat bed form with the toe plate down (not deployed) would hold the GF box sticking out a bit in the front. With GF properly packed in its original box with all the foam and bits you’d be able to stack the air filter on top.

Cosco Shifter 300-Pound Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck and Cart, Yellow

6 Likes

I would be thinking something like this…

Though there is plenty that could be done to accessorize it to be all that you could need to set up and show.

1 Like

I feel like this one might be easier to secure it safely, but I don’t know. The idea of lugging it around makes me cringe. I’m sure some people can do it just fine.

I wonder how well it would work if you set up the minivan to have a very safe, super secure way to house it there during travel. Remove all the foam and protective pieces, then just leave it in the minivan to use it, venting really well, obviously. I don’t know, still triggers some anxiety thinking about it. lol

3 Likes

Greetings -

First thing that comes to my mind is an ambulance gurney style cart that the machine is mounted to, but the cart itself folds when going into your van. Could also be a jobsite table saw adapted stand with two wheels that you transport the machine on ‘wheelbarrow’ style. And I would definately outfit pneumatic tires on it either way.

Using it in a sheltered location outside would be great, no filter needed, or in a woodshop / metal working space where they already have exhaust fans you can utilize. I personally would be extremely hesitant to transport mine on a regular basis. But it did make the trip to Alaska, with UPS no less, and still works. So it is doable. :slight_smile:

HL

1 Like

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WL437T

You may have trouble with anything that “folds up” as a Glowforge is really, really heavy. I think if I was going to go mobile with it, I would find someone who makes tour cases for music equipment. They would have the skills to make a reliable (and well padded) road case.

3 Likes

I used one of those (or at least very similar) with the PRU when I would take it to MakerFaires. Worked like a charm. And I didn’t lock it down with the orange bits or foam - just used the knobs/bolts into the rails to keep the carriage from sliding around and a small clamp to keep the head from sliding back & forth.

3 Likes

I plan to use my phone for internet and to vent outside whenever possible to avoid using the filters.

Thanks!

Thank you!

My glowforge box was all beat-up when it got here. The glowforge was in tact but the box was beat! I guess it’s time for some duct tape.

1 Like

If I get one second hand I’m sure this would be it. My concern is that to carry it in my van I will have to fold my seat down. I would rather have a folding cart. But it might not be an option. Thanks!

1 Like

I am definitely considering that! But it might be hard to get it level using the van. I’m open to all possibilities!

1 Like

My husband (a musician) had the same idea. My concern with a road case is that it adds to the weight!

Tape the heck out of that thing with some heavy-duty packing tape and save it, even if you don’t use it for moving it around with the students. You’ll need that box and all the packing bits if you ever need to send it back for repair/exchange and they charge $250 for a new box kit :money_with_wings: .

2 Likes

My first event was a bust. I couldn’t figure out the wifi. My tech guy said I needed two phones to make it work. One for the computer and one for the glowforge. But I couldn’t get it figured out in the time constraints that I had. I was disappointed, but at least the kids had fun doing other activities. We try again this month.

I still haven’t gotten a cart. I asked for a miter saw cart but haven’t heard back from admin.

Done. Taped.

1 Like

You would need to have the glowforge and computer be different addresses on the same wifi but not need two phones to do that. You can also do it at home at leisure and get it to work there a lot easier than trying to figure it out in the field.

5 Likes

Your “tech guy” is an idiot.

Sorry.

3 Likes