Need decorative font

I want to do some travertine coasters for a friend, and the idea is the first letter of the last name taking up most of the 4" tile, with the name spelled out below along the bottom. Rothenburg Decorative is not exactly what I am looking for, but close.

What I am thinking of has a bit more embellishment with ivy or something in it. Anyone familiar with something like that?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Either of those work?

2 Likes

Iā€™m really fond of Versals
https://www.dafont.com/ornamental-versals.font

6 Likes

Another option is using just an ornamental initial.

etc.usf.edu/clipart/home/search?q=ornamental letter&page=2

5 Likes

dafont!

5 Likes

Goudy Initialin is the one Iā€™ve usedā€¦needs cleanup though. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you all!
@curt, thanks, I had never seen those.

@kittski, thank you, nice ones there.

@bwente, @Jules - Thatā€™s it! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Get a little black easel stand, they make great gifts! (This is one done in vinyl - few years back.)

IMG_3818

11 Likes

I LOVE that site. So many ideas banked from them. Now I just need a :glowforge:ā€¦

2 Likes

Wowzers! I have something new to try on some lasertile I recently acquired. Looks like my Friday morning will be extra busy! @bwente thanks for posting those fonts!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @jjmacdougall! :grinning::tada::confetti_ball::balloon::sparkles: :birthday:

2 Likes

so you got the LASERTILE from teh laser tile site mentioned on here a bit ago that looked like it was offline?

1 Like

Yepā€¦got a box of 4ā€ tilesā€¦no problemo. Shipment was a tad slow but no tiles were broken in the making of this transaction. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But were they harmed? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hereā€™s the GoudyIni truetype font engraved onto LaserTileā€¦ a couple different ways due to me messing around in Inkscape. If I do this on a frequent basis, Iā€™m going to make an alignment jig to center the image in the tile space. I think they look pretty good for a first go at itā€¦

Oh, and I found a neat little easel to cut outā€¦ Small easel for plates or pictures. by stickben - Thingiverse

12 Likes

I always put a square cut line around my LaserTile designs and cut it into cardboard. (With everything else set to Ignore.) Then I pop out the cardboard square, drop in the tile, set the cut line to ignore, and choose my settings for everything else. (Remember to reset the material depth at this point to match the tile instead of the cardboard!)

Perfect centering each time. If Iā€™m doing a bunch then I just cut the cardboard once. No need to cut another cardboard jig unless I turn the machine off and on. (I make sure to center all my tile designs in the same spot (on a 20"Ɨ12" artboard) when I prepare the files so they load into the GFUI in exactly the same spot.)

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking! Thanks for the validation!

The left one I think, leaving the letter and detail raised on the travertine. masked so I can paint the background.
Thanks for the comparison!

BTW, after the Home Depot tiles that come shrink wrapped, I went to another vendor, ā€˜Floor & Decorā€™ where I could pick individual tiles. $0.16 apiece for 4" tiles.

1 Like

This is another site for Fonts, such as this Acorn one:

https://www.1001freefonts.com/acorn.font

3 Likes

What is this ā€œgetā€?

I cut my own easels on this thing called a laser :grinning:

5 Likes