Need place to post suggestions and update requests

I feel that posting this here isn’t really appropriate, as I have been using my GF and it is working fantastically. However, there are a number of rough edges that I have seen and I would like to pass on suggestions and feedback to help improve things.

My very first suggestion is that you need somewhere where users can post suggestions on how to improve things.

I understand that you probably already aware of a number of these features, and might have them in the pipeline. I am going to restrict the requests to software related issues, as the cost of hardware & physical changes is likely to be prohibitive for the 1.0 product.

In no particular order:

When rotating images in the UI, please display the angle that they have been rotated by.
Also, new need a field where an exact angle to rotate by can be entered numerically.

When entering material heights/laser focus distance, it is in inches. Please add a conversion for MM

It would be nice to be able to save my custom material settings in the UI so I don’t have to re-enter it each time.

It would also be nice to be able to print my own QR codes for material definitions. I could print one on a chit and toss it in with a custom material so I don’t have to manually enter any settings. I am a coder, so I can always figure out how you are doing it by myself, but at least it would be nice if you provided a link to something explaining it.

Deleting a design currently requires you to highlight the design and press a delete key. This doesn’t work if part of the design is outside the UI area. Please add an option in the drop down menu.

Extra bonus points if you detect part or all of a design outside the printable area and provide a warning.

These are a few things I could rattle off right now, I have had a few dozen more things that I noticed but cannot recall right now. I’ll post more as I re-encounter them.

6 Likes

I think this is the right place for this. I sent support an email with suggestions after I got my Glowforge.

FWIW the QR code doesn’t hold settings. It is an identifier for the material that then queries a GF database.

This is THE single most important feature that has not been implemented. It’s a simple software feature that needs to be part of the base functionality. Beta level software or not, this is the one thing that should have already been in place. If the business model is to promote Proofgrade, I’m okay with that. But, this is not an optional feature.

2 Likes

I asked a similar question a week or so ago. No official response thus far :frowning:

Need an easy way to move and scale multiple artworks the same amount.

Trying a fairly simple box design with two steps; engraving first, then edge cutting.
Tedious process with only two steps;

1. Enlarged and moved the first pattern to where I wanted it.
  2. Enlarge the second design, re-position one corner to match the first layer
  3. Scale the second design to match as best as possible the first layer.
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until designs appear to match fully.
1 Like

That could be part of the UI, a textbox that displays the % that the pattern has been scaled, and accepts text input to scale the pattern to an arbitrary size. Good suggestion.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll make sure to share them with the team.