New and need some advice / tips

Hi! I am completely new to Glowforge. I purchased it to add to my already too full craft room😁
I am wanting to make some cuts and engravings on acrylic I purchased on Amazon. I double checked and researched multiple times to make sure it has been used and does get used by Glowforge owners!
My problem is I have almost felt like I am over my head… I am not very tech savvy. Slowly I have been teaching myself InkScape. I am also slowly learning how to use my super awesome powerful machine✨
So my question (finally to the point) What is a good manual setting for 1\4 clear acrylic? And honestly any tips to help this old dog learn new tricks would be much appreciative. Thanks!

2 Likes

Easy peasy…just use the Thick Acrylic Proofgrade settings. (Acrylic is pretty much all the same.) :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Groovy! Thank you!

1 Like

You can quickly and accurately test any material with this method:

As for “acrylic is pretty much all the same”, that’s fairly true, but it does vary a bit. Testing is the only way to be sure.

3 Likes

And Cast Acrylic is different than Extruded. GF PG Acrylic is Cast. It cuts cleanly and engraves leaving a white frosty result.

Extruded is a little more brittle and does not have a good frosty engrave - you can see engraves but they’re more clear (or material colored) than the white of Cast.

Cast costs about 10% more but it’s almost all I use.

4 Likes

Time to break out the cast vs extruded acrylic picture again:

6 Likes

That’s the best contrast in extruded engraving I’ve ever seen. Mostly they’re not half that good.

1 Like