New Beamo CO2 Laser Cutter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flux-inc/beamo-worlds-smallest-co2-laser-cutter

Edit: This is from an established company Flux who already ship a larger 40/50W CO2 cutter which has a rotary available. The new rotary will add extra height to the beamo box.

2 Likes

I’m skeptical it’s a true 30W (vs rated at overvoltage/amp) - that should be 600-700mm or just 15mm shorter than their case width which would not leave much room for the optics or even the casing. I’m also thinking the closed loop cooling system is going to be an issue - the rendering doesn’t show much capacity or exchanger loop length.

I do think it’s interesting to see some of the things GF was pushing the envelope on now becoming standard fare in new laster designs (autofocus, camera bed view/positioning, wireless setup, etc).

The rotary is an interesting add-on - not sure how they get 4" diameter in there with the gantry and head positioning. This may be a more challenging project than they think :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Also skeptical of the cost, they’ll have to cut some major corners. I assume the lid is acrylic/lexan, not glass, among many other compromises. They do have an apparently much more compact head design (one of Gf’s weaknesses if you ask me). I just don’t think it’ll be nearly the same build quality for that price.

It appears the Beamo is from an established company Flux who already ship a larger 40/50W CO2 cutter which has a rotary available. The new rotary will add extra height to the beamo box.

The new one is much smaller:

Minor observation: one of their embedded videos shows it cutting paper … and the cut bits stay in one spot. No air assist?

One of the details that enamored me with the glowforge was how Dan, in a thread about an alternative product would say " if you are interested in that, you should buy it from (whoever manufactures it) instead… He never badmouthed anyone’s product.

7 Likes

I think you’re definitely right on the lid, it doesn’t seem to even seal the inside entirely with that fingler slot in the front. @martin.anderson If you scroll the the Kickstarter page it shows the air assist blows through the laser head, the example you point out may have some sort of adhesive holding the paper in place, or if it’s like when I do paper cutting, it could leave it perforated.

Overall I find this desktop laser interesting, and I’d be interested to see who of us gets one to see a real world review and have it directly compared to a GF. It would be nice for someone interested in getting into the field as a hobby, and eventually upgrading is my input on it.

Having followed a lot of crowdfunded fabrication tech projects from people with proven track records, I will be very excited when they deliver a machine that meets expectations less than a year late. I’m glad to see more talented people turning their attention to this area and, look forward to what the whole community/industry will learn from their experiment.

3 Likes

@jamesdhatch
It says:

So, why not have both? Our hybrid laser module attaches a semiconductor laser to the existing CO2 laser so you can enjoy the benefits of both. This module is currently under development…

It sounds to me like the actual laser is not yet set in stone and may not match these specs in the end.

1 Like

Yep I saw that and it’s part of what reminds me of another laser builder :slightly_smiling_face:

Some of the videos suggest they’re not necessarily of real machines in action but rendered through tools like Blender. Looks like they’ve got a machine but potentially they’ve just made Star Wars movies :yum:

4 Likes

Worst name ever. Similar to the Beano product, so any time I think Beamo, I’m going to think of farts.

8 Likes

I hadn’t until you mentioned it, but…
:laughing:

3 Likes

That’s all I could think of… obviously not a US product.

1 Like

but does that mean you can take the line from the commercial and go on to beamo before and there will be no CO2?

1 Like
1 Like

Whereas I was reminded of this character from Adventure Time instead.

5 Likes

“Faster than Glowforge” I believe it’s faster on top end with scores because of the less massive head and gantry,… but that cut video was painfully slow if that was 1/8 BB ply.

he does specifically mention scoring and engraving in that part. cutting is more a function of power and it’s still only a 30w.

1 Like

Yup. Dealbreaker for me, my next laser (if ever) is going to be way more powerful and very likely not a Glowforge because of their support process.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.