New fun with canvas (and SpinArt)

First the madness…

And then the method…

These are both acrylic paint on canvas which are then lasered by the mighty Glowforge. The top one started out as a black 8.5 by 11 canvas and the bottom one was a 10 inch square white canvas.

My inner child has always had a deep and abiding love for spin art (I mean, throw paint at a spinning canvas? Hell yeah!) So I used an old fan and took the fan blade off, made a flat base and some attachment doodads and put it where the fan blade used to be. I glued it down to some Plywood so it wouldn’t wobble and put the whole thing in a cardboard box to catch splatters.

First I set up the white canvas and went to town like a monkey in a zoo. Fling blobs of acrylic pain until happy.

Aw yeah. We have achieved 6 year old Picasso. Once things dried, I painted over top of the colors with black paint and let it dry.

Next it goes into the forge with a weird bit of art I created in MidJourney.

and the result is the second one from the top of this post.

Next up, we try some spray paint. This is a bit more of a controlled look:

By adjusting how long you aim the spray paint at the same spot, you adjust the number of “tendrils” of paint you will get. Much easier to get concentric circles this way.

Since this one started life as a black canvas, I didn’t need a top coat. I just went back to MidJourney and made whatever this thing is:

and put it in the art toaster to bake. The results are at the very top of the post.

The possibilities have not even been guessed at. It’s. gonna get weird.

55 Likes

I love the idea of paint on a spinning canvas. You have taken it to a new level. Great fun.

13 Likes

This made me laugh. I don’t think I’d do any better than 3yo Picasso :slight_smile:

I really like how these came out. Thanks for sharing the process as well as the results!

13 Likes

One of my favorite things at my elementary school carnival and you are taking it to a new level. Good job!

10 Likes

Those are pretty cool, now I have another process to add to a list I’ll never complete.

11 Likes

These are both way cool!

With the visible height of the paint under the black, I wonder how this style would work if you reversed the engraving (so the edges were all exposed)!
hmmmm

Added to the idea closet :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Nice. There is a definite attraction to preserving the splatters on the edge.

7 Likes

Easy to see you have been having fun! Easy to when your ideas turn out so good. :sunglasses:
The idea of the spry can is great!

10 Likes

Oh, super cool!

8 Likes

This is funny. A personal hopper. :smile:

10 Likes

and things come out of it just about as frequently :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

so cool! i never would have thought of the fan high/medium /low speed?

5 Likes

Depends on how far you want it to fling paint. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Wow, what an innovative technique! That engraving design has a nervous energy that is a tad unsettling…

4 Likes

These are beautiful. I can see these at a craft festival, with you making them as entertainment art.

4 Likes

Great use of an old fan and the glow forge? Cool work! Inspirational!

5 Likes

Those designs are great, very artistic

4 Likes

As a kid, I had one of those spinner machines intended for making spin art. Lots of paint everywhere, it was fun until I had to clean up.

I’d have probably done more of it if I’d known I would have a laser. That’s cool art!

7 Likes

What great results, they make me feel joyous!

The “whatever this thing is” is beautiful in its own right, and art toaster is such a cool phrase, that could be a product name!

3 Likes

Great idea, this is also a fab approach!