New GF won't cut or engrave on right side of bed

Just unboxed my brand new GF Basic and it doesn’t work. In the attached photo, I attempted cutting a long rectangle to illustrate the problem. On the left side of the bed, it cuts normally, but the laser gradually stops cutting as it approaches the middle of the bed. And it doesn’t even make a mark on the wood by the time it’s on the right side. And then as it comes back to the left side, it starts cutting again. I’ve owned three GFs and I’ve never had this issue. And I’m quite desperate to get it working, since holiday orders are starting to come in. Anyone have suggestions?

I already took the lens out to confirm that it’s seated correctly, and I tried restarting several times.

This was the first issue I Experienced with my first GF. It wouldn’t cut on the right side. I had to get a replacement after showing them the gift of measure cut on proof grade material. Do not waste any of your materials contact them.

1 Like

Sadly that looks like it was damaged in shipping. There may be some things a staff member will be able to suggest, but AFAIK they’ve all required returns :frowning:

A staff member will get her ASAP and follow up with questions.

1 Like

Drew a diagram for someone else that had this problem. One of the mirrors in the laser arm has come out of alignment in shipping, so the laser beam coming out of it is no longer pointed directly at the window on the side of the print head. As the print head moves further to the right, less and less of the laser beam makes it into the window on the side.

4 Likes

That’s what i was afraid of. I now own three GFs and only one is working. I bought this one new and had to wait a month to get it, and now it doesn’t work

@samspendlove I am so sorry your Glowforge Basic printers are not cutting through your material.

I want to make sure I am reviewing the correct printer that is having this issue. Could you please confirm the serial number of the printer having the issue for me? The serial number can be found on the back of the Glowforge, printed on a sticker near the AC adapter on the right-hand side. It will look something like ABC-123-4.

I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows

• The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head

• The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge

• The printer head lens

• Both sides of the lens, top and bottom

• The mirror inside the printer head

• The bottom of the printer head with the lens installed

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

[

Download full resolution images

Available until Dec 23, 2021

](iCloud)I NEED A NEW MACHINE!! This isn’t an issue with it being dirty, The moment I took it out of the box, it literally wouldn’t cut through proof grade material. Something is wrong and I need a replacement so I can get caught up on my Holiday orders. This is the busiest time of the year for us, which is why I BOUGHT THIS MACHINE IN OCTOBER. Here are the photos you requested, but please send me a new one and send me a label so I can return this one.IMG_9204.jpegIMG_9202.jpegIMG_9201.jpegIMG_9199.jpegIMG_9198.jpegIMG_9197.jpegIMG_9203.jpeg

@samspendlove Thank you so much for your photos. I totally understand and I am so sorry for this experience. I am going to close the forum post and will be move this to email in order to assist further. You should have my email very shortly.