New Glowforge, Lid Camera not focusing & cannot calibrate

Hello Everyone,

So I just received my glowforge plus a couple days ago, Got the chance to set it up and everything out of the box looked fine.

However once setup i noticed the bed image was very blurry and it would not recognise the proof grade materials.

Jumped onto the forums and found that you can recalibrate the camera so I followed the instructions and tried to calibrate. The machine would perform the calibration cut but would then crash on “capturing post lid image” (amber light). Tried it a few times as i read people saying theirs crashed a few times and then worked. Ended up wasting a lot of the proof grade material I received but it just kept crashing.

On closer inspection when wiping the lid camera i noticed the head was spinning, read the forum and found a lot of people compaining of the same issue as far as i know everyone has been asked to send it back for a replacement.

Just wanted to find out will my machine need to be replaced? Or has a fix been developed for this problem?

Yes, you might have to send it back if that lid camera turns. It’s supposed to be glued/fixed in place so that the factory set focus is maintained.

You are going to need to wait to hear from Support about it, they can look at your machine logs and let you know what the next steps are going to be. Sorry about that, there’s nothing else that you can do for now, but they’ll get you squared away. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the response. I was hoping there was a fix as it seems like focusing the lens and fixing it into position doesn’t seem like too much of a difficult task. The shipping from UK + export and import taxes would be a fair amount for such a small issue.

Is there no other options such as an extended warranty or a partial refund and letting the customer rectify the issue manually?

I don’t know what their policy is going to be for International situations, so that’s why you need to hear from them. (They don’t want to have to round trip ship them internationally either, so if they can come up with a way that the customer can fix it themselves, I’m sure they’ll try. But I’m not sure the customers can calibrate them remotely.)

If they haven’t got the process worked out for how it could happen, it might take them some time to think it over and write up some instructions, so if you don’t hear from them for a while, they might be trying to work something out. Be patient, it might save some money. (No promises though, they might not be able to pull it off.)

Anyway, good luck with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks a lot for all your help Jules really appreciate it. Will wait for a response from support.

1 Like

Thanks for helping @Jules!

@jesselsingdia94 I see you already emailed us about this and we’ve sent over some instructions, so I’m going to close this topic.

1 Like