New Glowforge Pro not cutting, camera blurry

Yes, we just received it yesterday

I cleaned the optics already, and I have not tried magnets yet, but I will

Here you go:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/glowforge-not-cutting-through-pg-material/18868/4?u=evansd2

@ada When you cleaned the lens in the lid, were you able to rotate the little holder? Was it loose?

1 Like

…And new units have arrived with mirrors installed upside down. My advice stands, its best to go through a full cleaning in cases like this, which the OP was already totally brilliant to do.

2 Likes

Make sure your material is absolutely flat against the bed. Even the tiniest bit of warp can cause it not to cut through. These are a big help: Honeycomb bed holdown pins, and/or magnets, if you have some.

Also, for future reference, posting in this category opens a support ticket as well. If you do both (email and post here) it can actually slow things down. My advice is opt for posting, since there are lots of experienced users around even after hours / on weekends who are always willing to lend a hand!

1 Like

I would have thought the factory tests would eliminate those errors. Ugh

I went through this already, and I measured the material with calipers and adjusted the focus length, and it did better, but still not doing it.
I’ve been just turning down the speed on the cut now and seeing at what point it will actually cut through

…and were they gentle with pressure on the lens and avoid twisting it or trying to manually focus?

Can you turn the lens in the lid? It is supposed to be glued down, and if you can turn it, they will likely need to replace the unit. That focus looks really off for fresh out of the box.

1 Like

That is good to know.

I am trying it with magnets right now, but the material was already pretty flush

I can turn it, it looks like if I play with it a bit I can get the camera to focus a little better but I am guessing this is not supposed to be the case because of another forum post about them gluing them now

Yeah, I’m afraid they are probably going to want to replace it. You’ll need to hear from them.
(It’s pretty rare, but it does happen that they get knocked loose in shipping.)

2 Likes

Awesome, is there a way to expedite hearing back from them?
We are in a crunch and a working laser cutter would be super useful

As soon as they see either your email or this post they will get to work on it. It’s generally pretty quick.

1 Like

The lid camera won’t cause cut through issues. I would make sure that your lens in the head wasn’t installed upside down. That cut and score look pretty toasty

2 Likes

I checked when I cleaned it and the lens is in the correct orientation

1 Like

Just to be sure… what do you think correct is? It should be a “bowl”.

If I run the cut at about 80% of the default speed for the material, it makes it through

Yep,
I just double checked again, because I would have felt VERY dumb if that was the case