New machine doesn’t work

I got my new Glowforge 3 days ago and have not been able to get it to work. It keeps saying calibrating and scanning. I purchased a wifi extender so that’s not it. I’ve done all the troubleshooting also.

I received an email from Glowforge saying I need to PURCHASE a new cable for my lid. WHAT?!? I spent 4K on a machine that I got 3 days ago and you’re telling me I need to BUY a replacement part?

Off to a great start Glowforge… your customer service is top notch :ok_hand:

That was likely a mistake, the lid cable is going to be covered under warranty if it is a new machine.

If it was a mistake, they will take care of it.

5 Likes

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am so very sorry to hear that your brand new Glowforge is having some trouble. I know this must be really frustrating and disappointing, but please know that we will do everything we can to get this resolved for you right away.

I’m not sure about the email you received, but I will look into that. Thank you for letting us know.

I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the trouble, and it looks like there is a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Possibly something came loose or disconnected during shipping. I’d like to have you follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, please take a photo and attach it to your reply. Don’t try to adjust or reseat the cable until reaching back out to us.

The connections, when properly connected should look like this:

If you are unsure if the connections are good, please post photos and we’ll review and let you know.

Please let me know what you find. Thank you!

They are all connected

Thank you for sharing those photos. All of the cable connections do look good from what I can see. It is possible that there is an issue with the black lid cable, so I’m going to get a replacement sent out to you right away.

In the meantime, I’d like to have you try reseating the cable connections, just in case something is a bit loose and not making proper contact. Could you please try the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge and open the lid

2. Gently open the clip of the left connection

3. Slide the end of the cable out of the slot

4. Notice the two smaller bumps on the end of the cable

5. Line the cable up straight along to the slot

6. Slide the cable back into the slot, making sure the small bumps fit into the little grooves on each side of the cable as in the photo below

7. Gently close the clip like a hinge

8. Repeat steps 2-7 for the middle and right side connections

9. Turn your Glowforge back on

10. Wait two minutes to let your Glowforge connect and calibrate

Please let me know how it goes. While you do that, I’ll get the new cable ordered for you and will follow up with those details once I have them.

I see that your new lid cable was delivered today. You can follow these instructions to get it installed https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054009914-Replace-the-Black-Lid-Cable. If it still runs into issues, please post photos of the three cable connections, like the examples below, and we’ll be glad to take a look.

Hi @evergreenandoaks. It’s been a couple days since Morgan’s last responses, and I wanted to check in with to see if reseating the connections was able to help. Let us know, and we’ll be here, and happy to help. Thanks!

Hi @evergreenandoaks. It’s been a while since there’s been activity in this thread, so I’ll go ahead and close this for now. If you run in to any further trouble, feel free to create a new thread of write us at support@glowforge.com. Thanks!