New material process

First of all, I belong to many various forums, and this one is by far the most friendly and informative forum I have experienced. So, thank you all. Glad to be a part of this.

I love the idea that buying proofgrade will insure a great cut. It’s seems to me that we are not only buying the material but are also buying the settings and all the work that went behind that.

Since I am new to lasers, could you share with me the process for setting up the laser for your own material. I have various pieces of really beautiful hardwood that I would love to use. They are quite small. I’m assuming I will have to make test cuts to ensure I’ve got the settings dialed in. Could someone walk me through their process for doing this with the minimum material used? Is there some kind of registration template?

Thanks.

P.s. I can tell that in a few months this forum will explode with photos and descriptions of creative projects. I am looking forward to sharing with you what I create, and I have a feeling that many of you are going to blow me away with your talent + technology.

Cheers,

JonnyVermont

23 Likes

Until I answer specifically on wood here are two topics testing two materials.

Any settings are bound to change until shipping and even after but this shows the process I use. @takitus is a bit more methodical about this

I generally do two types of tests, one for cutting and one for engraving

In addition to materials test I often do design tests on chipboard, cardboard or cheap plywood to see what happens.

15 Likes