New Obsession!

Very nice. Love the backer cards. Needs a logo or company name engraved on it.

Those are totally awesome. How are these not something in a shop being sold. They look so professional with the card mount and display.

1 Like

Wow! What a collection you have already!
Where do you get the hardware for them? I think my wife would like some, and my glowforge is being made right now.

I got all the hardware at Michaels! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool…thanks! I’ll check there.

You’ve created some wonderful pieces.

If you’re not selling them somewhere already perhaps you should think about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm… hadn’t thought of them, I’ll have to see if I have time this weekend to swing by there. Thanks.

I have been going a bit nuts in the earring department as well. What looks good in maple and cherry wood can also look good in the many colors of plastic.

A word of warning about Inventables gold sparkles is that the laser does not want to cut the sparkles. I got one earring out of 16 tried and it looks amazing but cutting all the way through is very iffy.

3 Likes

Also check out Hobby Lobby - they have more hardware for jewelry than Michaels (and the 40% coupon as well). Often different manufacturers are 50% off for jewelry hardware.

2 Likes

Serious volume in hundreds of pieces is quite inexpensive on the web. Amazon, Etsy etc. I got something like a thousand earrings for in the twenty dollar range.

4 Likes

I’ll check there too. There is a Hobby Lobby near me.

so i need one of each :wink:

1 Like

Beautiful stuff!

My wife and I were just in Leon, Mexico, which is kind of a leather capitol for Mexico… and we stocked up on a TON of great smallish leather “scraps” for use in this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Were you able to tell if they are vegetable tanned or not when you bought them? I am going to the Phoenix area traveling by car this week…would be really nice if I could find a place to get some smallish leather scraps somewhere…

what are your settings as to not burn the leather?

1 Like

these are STUNNING! Keep posting pics, these are great!

2 Likes

Can you share a file to make these? Im brand new and really need help getting started! Also where do we get the masking tape stuff to cover materials with and how do we get settings for all different materials that glowforge does not sell?? Do I need to mask everything or only wood?? Help please Im lost here!

Hello and welcome!

Based on this and your other recent posts, it sounds like you are just getting started trying to figure out how to use your Glowforge. One of our forum regulars has a couple of posts that covers much of what you need to know getting started:

Those are a good place to start to get answers to the questions you are asking about masking and settings. There is lots more information in the forum. The search feature can be useful (magnifying glass in the upper right corner).

Regarding your request for @rbtdanforth’s design files: there are a variety of reasons someone may not want to share design files and, it can be uncomfortable for some to have to say no publicly. So, our community standard (and forum rules) are to not ask and, leave it up to the designer to offer. There are quite a few files freely available (for personal use) in the Free Laser Designs section.

You are, of course, welcome to post questions but, looking at the answers already posted are likely to be faster than waiting for someone to respond.

7 Likes

If you get premium there are hundreds of “free with premium” designs available. All the Glowforge materials come already masked and even can do the settings on their own materials.

it would be best if you start with the first few designs that are a part of the setting up procedure to see how everything works, then to designs on the materials that came with your machine, and by that time you will be “started” and figure out where to go from there. If an area is going to be engraved there is not much point in masking as the engraving will eat it, and the thickness could interfere (this is not so much the case with dot engraving) as for everything else you can mask it or clean it after :slightly_smiling_face:

The masking tape you want is white, paper, and 12" wide and is pretty inexpensive with many sources to compare., just make sure it is those four things.

1 Like

Great earrings and love the background card!