New owner (well, almost)

Welcome Holly! I can’t wait to see the stuff you make with it. (They are a stone cold blast!) :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome and congratulations, Holly! Believe me, I know the excitement you have right now. Been there, done that…and still being there and doing that. Be sure to post what you make so we can all share with you.

4 Likes

Bob Vila! I used to watch him on PBS as a kid too, still wish I had that kind of workshop at my disposal. Can’t wait to see what kind of fun stuff you create. There are some crazy talented folks in this community. So many fun ideas to tackle.

3 Likes

Welcome!

Oh, you are gonna have so much fun! You can spend your waiting time getting your software chops up to snuff. There are lots of tutorials in the Glowforge Tips and Tricks section.

2 Likes

Fortunately I have a good head start there :slight_smile: Long-time user of Photoshop and Illustrator (like, v1 of PS, and AI when it was part of Aldus, I think). So I’m just blowing the dust off of those a bit.

2 Likes

Welcome to our universe!:partying_face:
I did not see that you have been using any graphic software. If not already proficient in a vector and an image software I would suggest Inkscape and Gimp as they are both free and powerful. No program is free of the need to learn it, however. As you have not yet received your Glowforge. there is no better time than now to become familiar with them. so you can make real any idea you get.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Very excited for you! Read as much as you can on the forum … there is a wealth of information here.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve already got the Adobe CC suite, so I’m good to go there! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Useful:

Overall welcome Maybe too entry level?

This will help you figure out how to cut new materials, really useful skill to have.

Essential if you’re going to cut anything non PG (which you will, probably)

What else might you need?

10 Likes

Welcome to the crowd!! You’re gonna have a great time!

Welcome welcome welcome! Now would also be a good time to get any venting situation setup if you haven’t already. Of course, if you got a filter then there’s no need to vent…

2 Likes

But looking to arrange a washable pre-filter is a really good idea.

1 Like

I’ll be venting out a window - is that something which would benefit from a pre-filter? (I’m thinking: no)

2 Likes

Not with a window vent, but I have found an in line exhaust fan good for getting the smoke out faster and leaving less time to build up anywhere.

2 Likes

In-line externally controllable exhaust is a good idea if for no other reason than to be able to continue blowing air out the exhaust after a print has finished and the GF fans turn off. There’s a lot of information on the forums about booster fans, as well as a number of DIY window vents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This works as a pull, I assume?

Thanks!

1 Like

Congrats and Welcome! You will get to the point where everything you look at can be made by you. So all that money spent buying stuff will be spent on getting materials to make stuff! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What I have set up just added more pull to the exhaust line. I have my booster right at the exit of my line where it connects to the outside of the garage. Just search for window venting solutions and you’ll find a lot of different builds of varying complexity, many including boosters.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.