New price increase?

4 Likes

It makes sense since they upped the price of the main units as well.

4 Likes

Figures, since mine is 5 years old and can’t be long for this world.
Good to see you Jonathan.

8 Likes

I’ve moved this out of the support forum since there is no request for support in the post.

8 Likes

Are you having to bump up power or slow it down as well? (that’s my current sit-rep…)

3 Likes

Only slightly.

4 Likes

So far, mine doesn’t seem to be behaving any differently…and I’ve sort of been waiting, waiting,…

6 Likes

I’ve mentioned how I always do a small test before committing to any large print, but I noticed settings that worked for my most common materials (and some Proofgrade) no longer work, so I started keeping notes. It’s a steady decline.

My conundrum is that I removed the broken exhaust fan and cut out the (original, restrictive) grate, so they would not accept my machine in exchange for a refurb.

3 Likes

Buddy could weld a piece back in there to make it whole.

is for a machine that’s still covered by warranty?

I would buy a generic 4" computer fan grill, something like this and screw it on. I would hope they didn’t give you trouble over the missing fan they sold you that broke.

removing a broken fan is one thing. but they may be less accepting of cutting the actual grill out.

2 Likes

Maybe, but I would sweet talk support and explain, nothing to lose by trying.

1 Like

agreed. just saying it’s not as simple as putting your own replacement fan in if the grill is cut out. the case exterior is one piece.

There is no chance the would accept a machine with the grate cut out in exchange for a refurb, I knew that when I cut it out about 3 years ago. 5 years in, I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it.

5 Likes

I feel the same. Word of mouth, it paid for itself 5 times - and gave me something to do with myself. I wonder what my tolerance for its absence would be.

5 Likes

This is on my mind a lot lately too, since we’ll probably be moving out of our home sometime next year.

4 Likes

I live in the middle of no where but if I lived closer to a makerspace that had lasers, I would probably get rid of my GF. More space for more sewing machines then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s why we’re building with an extra apartment in the lower level. I don’t want to have to move just because one of us needs care. We’ll bring the care to us. Only when I’m no longer able to use the machines would I want to move somewhere that I couldn’t bring my creativity outlets with me.

I get a lot of grief from folks about making preparations like that but they’re better made now when I can.

4 Likes

I’ve gotten a few comments, myself. “what, you’re not that old, yet”, etc. Well, I don’t feel that old either, but I realized recently that my parents were younger than I am when they moved into independent living…then started traveling their hearts out. People never make snide remarks about something like that part of the process…it’s too cool.

I think it’s wonderful that you’re looking ahead to when you need to, but won’t have to move out of your home. Great insurance to make a space for having a caregiver. It’s too late for something like that for us, but we’re doing the next best thing.

It remains yet to be seen whether my Glowforge (or a replacement) will be going along with us.

5 Likes