New To Glowforge Pro Tips/Suggestions/Recommendations

Good morning/afternoon fellow Glowforge enthusiasts, I recently purchased my glowforge and it’s set to arrive on Saturday 11/5/22. I’m looking for tips or suggestions for me to look into/research or things I should familiarize myself with before my Glowforge arrives. I already use Photoshop, and Adobe Lightroom on a regular for photo creating/editing. I just figured I’d ask for suggestions or recommendations from people who have experience with theirs. I just want to be able to hit the ground running once it arrives! Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I recommend you get a vector program first, since your already using adobe programs I would encourage getting adobe illustrator. You will want to learn how to use that first.

I made a full playlist of videos from start to finish to help newer people learn faster if it helps you out here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6TGCGiz_3Bw1NgmkK6UqKWBhHQG9Fpe

4 Likes

Thank you Wenning08, I will take the time to make sure and watch your videos as from looking at them briefly it looks as though they may be fairly useful! I will also be sure to download Adobe Illustrator after I get home on my PC this evening and familiarize myself with that program!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your purchase.

1. I highly recommend you read the manual!!
  2. Make sure your home network is 2.4GHz before you set up you GF.
  3. Do not run before you can walk. There have been lots of individuals that come here on day one and they want to do an 8 hour engrave or they want to design a SVG of the Sistine Chapel.
  4. If your Glowforge is in a room with laminate or wood floors —-a Swiffer is a must.
  5. The community forums has a wealth of information. This is just an example – if you are interested in engraving on rocks just come here and type engraving on rocks. There is a 99.9% possibility someone has engraved on something unusual.
  6. If you are confused about anything come to the forums and ask a question. There is always someone here to guide you.

Here a few links to get you started.

A. Making boxes with the Glowforge

Make A Box: Generate Laser Cutter Templates for Enclosures!

MakerCase - Easy Laser Cut Case Design

Box Designer

Boxes.py

Online File Generators for Laser Cutting - Maker Design Lab

B. FREE SVGs

Laser cutting designs | Craftsmanspace

Free SVG Image & Icon. | SVG Silh

Free Laser Cut Templates, Download Laser Cutting Designs

SVGCuts.com Blog

Ponoko

C. Free Clipart

D. 40 Places to get free SVGS

F. Different blogs and websites

Made with Forge - Tips, Tutorials, and Freebies for Glowforge

Make CNC DIY Projects & Products | MakeCNC.com

Hacker Factor: Glowforge Notes

Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers |

G. Converting websites Farwest makes it easy to convert inches to decimals.

CloudConvert

Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter

DXF to SVG (Online & Free) — Convertio

H. Supplies

Ocooch Hardwoods - Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Laser Engraving/Cutting, Woodturning, Intarsia and More

I. Learn to design

Glowforge Training Center - Raster Design - Google Sheets

Glowforge Customers Training Center - 2D Vector Design - Google Drive

J. Online Classes

Online Classes by Skillshare | Start for Free Today

Online Courses - Learn Anything, On Your Schedule | Udemy

K. YouTube Channels

Lady Crockett Crafts

Troy the Maker

Fresh Start Customs

ToolMetrix

WayofWood

Panthera Press

ThinkLaser Limited

John Kuiphoff

When Geeks Craft

L. YouTube Channels to learn Inkscape

TJ Free

Logos by Nick

4 Likes

including Matzah, Rice and Peeps!

4 Likes

@JimmyWayneWestie gave you a very thorough list of places to read and I may have missed if she posted this, but after you set up your Glowforge, to me, this is the first tutorial you need to work through, start to finish:

1 Like

I vividly remember my first memories when my Glowforge arrived. I did everything so slowly and followed their guide.

There was a YouTube video that showed a more thorough way to set it up. It took me 3 hours!! I believe it was another 2 hours until I printed off the Gift of Good measure.

It was a constant read the manual, watch a YouTube video, read the manual again, watch another YouTube video, read the manual again!!

Then for the next three or four months —- I came to the forums and read and read and read and read!!!

I made many mistakes and there were so many people that threw a lifeline to help me.

Everyone realized through my posts I was not coming here for settings because I had already experimented with a dozen different settings.

I am still learning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.