New to glowforge pro

Hey all my name is Travis and I am new to the glowforge community. I just ordered the pro and just wanted to get opinions on what computer works best and what programs will I need. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Travis, welcome to the GF Community!
I use a MacBook Pro with my GF pro. Also Inkscape, GIMP, Vectonator are all good FREE programs to use.

2 Likes

Hey welcome. Lots of discussion about this and other useful topics. Here’s a post you might like:

As for software specifically, that’s also been discussed:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=what%20software%20to%20use

6 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it.

Thank you.

1 Like

One of the great things about the :glowforge: is it’s OS/software agnostic. It’ll work with anything. Do you already use a computer? How about a drawing program (raster or vector)?

1 Like

I have a computer but I don’t have a drawing program.

1 Like

Then @evansd2 link above to prior questions about software is definitely your best bet. :glowforge: uses Inkscape and GIMP in their instructions, but almost every piece of software available has someone on this forum using it. You might also find it helpful to go through some of the Tutorials in the Matrix (scroll to the 2nd section of the post) - and if one makes way more sense to you than another try that program out.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you so much.

1 Like

Welcome @travisalley364 you’re going to have fun!

One of the biggest challenges can be getting a hang of vector drawing programs… but folks on this forum can be a big help!

1 Like

@jestelle thank you.

Even if you have not received your Glowforge yet, now would be a good time to learn the design programs you will be using as the design and cutting are distinct processes that the design program does not need the Glowforge connected to use it.

I use Gimp for raster or pixel images as there are the most tools for that but not much for vector editing, Likewise Inkscape does amazing things with vector lines but other than inserting a finished raster image it does not do much for that.

After I ordered my Glowforge I spent months playing with all the commands in Inkscape as I was familiar with Gimp at that time,

1 Like

@rbtdanforth thank you. That was my plan. Was just trying to see what the best to work with. looks like I have my work cut out for me. You guys in the GF community are awesome. Thank you all it is very much appreciated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.