New to glowforge

I am brand new, my glowforge is being delivered on Friday. I have read the setup instructions and first print ideas.

My question: Is there something you wish someone had told you about your glowforge, materials, software etc. before you dove in head first? If so please share

1 Like

Take the time to work through the “First Three Prints” tutorials!

(Actually, I did, and it saved me a lot of the frustration I see other new owners going through!)

9 Likes

Thank you, I will definitely do this and I appreciate your answer :blush:

1 Like

Depending on how skilled you are with your chosen design software, spending time designing would be good use of the time.
Consider your venting and material storage options.
You have a great adventure waiting for you! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I would recommend using this forum and search function, as there are a bunch of threads that will help you prepare. The folks here are really friendly and very willing to help. But, pretty much anything you need to know is buried in this forum and can be found using the search. Good luck, and be sure to post your first projects here!

5 Likes

There are some useful links under “The Matrix” in this post over in Tips and Tricks.

3 Likes

@PrintToLaser Thank you for your answer. Software is definitely going to be a learning curve. I have been using cricut design space for years and I am very comfortable with it. I’ve watched several tutorials on transferring the saga files from design space to Inkscape (which I have never used before) and I think it would be easier to just learn a new software. Do you have any newbie recommendations? I will take all the advice I can get.

2 Likes

@pubultrastar thank you so much, I’ll try searching. Everyone so far has been very helpful and I can’t wait to start my Glowforge adventure!

2 Likes

There are many ways to learn software, you will find a lot of information on YouTube.

One of my favorites is “Logos by Nick”, he has a lot of free content there. He also has a web site - https://logosbynick.com/inkscape/ - and a paid “master class” for $17. I found Inkscape simple and intuitive, so I’ve not purchased his course, but I have referred to several of his free videos at times. If I was new to 2D design, I feel like $17 is a worthwhile investment.

4 Likes

That sounds awesome, I’ll check it out! Thank you again :blush:

1 Like

I’m fond of Inkscape, being free and powerful. :+1:
Both @pubultrastar and @eflyguy give good advice. This community is the best resource for you new tool/toy.
Enjoy the adventure!

4 Likes

Inkscape does sound like the best software for a newbie like me. I’ll start with that and see where it takes me

2 Likes

It may not be best suited for you. Some people prefer the interface of apps like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer. I think you can get trials of those.

2 Likes

+1 for Affinity Designer, especially if you use Apple products.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: I’ll take a look at at those as well. I have read a lot about people that use Adobe as their main software for Glowforge. I have done a lot of research on the software but I love the advice from people that have experience using specific software with Glowforge successfully because I have only really used the cricut design space to make svg files.

I Have not read a lot about this software, is it a good source for someone with no experience?

1 Like

I find the interface more intuitive than Inkscape, although I did start off using Inkscape. It’s inexpensive, and like @eflyguy said, there’s a generous free trial. I’ve been happy with it, and now do all of my designing in it.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll do some research on that software and see where it takes me.

2 Likes

I had never seen Inkscape before buying my Glowforge while there was still a long wait to receiving the machines, so I spent that time digging deep into what the program did and I am still learning some finer points, the basics are not very hard.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.