New to Leather, Not Sure Whats Safe to Get

I need a thin leather, and I found this one on Amazon:

Amazon Leather

It says it’s Veg Leather. I know nothing of leather processing but I assume that is vegetable oil-tanned leather or treated or something? I’m just wondering if anyone has used this particular product or if anyone has any experience with it and can tell me if it looks ok? Its a great price and with prime shipping its exactly what I need!

I also looked through the forums and it looks like it might be safe but I just need some reassurance I guess. If this doesn’t look good, does anyone have any suggestions from amazon for Natural/Light colored thin leather?

3 Likes

Never had that specific product personally but that’s exactly the stuff you need.

5 Likes

That is the right kind. When you said “Veg leather”…I had to look for myself, as ‘veg leather’ might have also meant ‘vegan’…which is pleather/vinyl backed (I think) material and not laser safe. The words ‘veg tan’ together are key.

10 Likes

Ditto on not using that product particularly, but veg-tan is what you want (you can use chrome tan as well, but that can mess up your lungs so make sure your exhaust is top notch, and not blowing into a playground or something!)

I’ll also point out, unless you need the leather to be square you can get 3-5 sq’ (rather than 2sq’) for $20 from Tandy, or if you can pay more at the same time they have partial and whole hides for much cheaper per foot.

9 Likes

Veg tan leather is tanned using natural vegetable tannins, usually from tree bark and roots.

That specific listing is at $12 a square foot…spendy even if it were premium tooling leather. An entire side of 4-5 ounce grade B vegtan is appx $6-$8 a square foot ($120 - $160 per side) from most leather suppliers.

7 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion!

3 Likes

Thank you! I know but, I can’t really afford much more than this right now, and I need it like yesterday lolol so Its going to have to do tell I can afford a big piece and the time for shipping.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 26 days. New replies are no longer allowed.