New video! Glowforge Goes Retro

Whats funny is until you posted that video yesterday I had never heard of him. Then last night, I fall asleep with the tv on and wake to hear him on Fallen.

2 Likes

I just discovered him myself. He was apparently the break out star at the Bafta’s this year. Have a feeling we’ll be hearing a lot more of him in the future. Love his name too :smile:

1 Like

Interesting design. Basically it is acting like a resonating cavity on a stringed instrument, like an acoustic guitar. I bet you could look up an article or two on the physics of acoustic guitar sound and tweak the shape of the chamber slightly to make it even louder/fuller sounding.

1 Like

here is the ultra-simple version to get you by until the glowforge arrives.
It ain’t pretty.

5 Likes

The antique Victrola had a flip down door on the front of the resonance chamber and the bass enhancement of that was startling.
I have a few wooden cigar boxes, and one of them will evolve into a phone amp. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s actually an oil stick/paint stick. Basically like a large, soft crayon.

8 Likes

Oh I can’t wait for my Glowforge to come so I can try making the boombox; awesome!!!

4 Likes

Amazing, thanks!! :wink:

1 Like

very nice-thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Totally dig this. :slight_smile:
Saw the video on facebook, and must have missed it here until now!

Grown up Bobby Hill can sing!

1 Like

Those are great for adding color to smoke bombs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bailey thanks for the explanation. I haven’t heard of the oil stick/paint stick. Where do you buy these at? I want to have mine in hand when I get my Glowforge! I think I am making that boombox FIRST! I am guessing since it was designed in-house we will have access to the files? (Oh I hope so)

1 Like

I suspect they are these. I used to have a collection of them for stenciling.

3 Likes

@cynd11 thanks for the reply! I will make sure to have on hand. I’m so excited about the Glowforge coming!! I just wish it would be here before the end of June…I’d take mine to MakerFaire!

1 Like
2 Likes

@bailey how do you take a pre-existing design in the catalog like this and modify it to fit your phone?

I am guessing I would have to buy the unlimited version so that I can experiment to make it work with mine and my son’s (different style). Thank you for your time…love love love this!

does anyone have any clue how to make this for androids?

1 Like

First off, welcome to the forums.
Second, since there is no standard size for Android all I can suggest is for you to take the design philosophy you see in the video and create one that fits your phone and your style. Probably a big bite for a first project but would be a great 4th or 5th.

4 Likes