New video! Glowforge Goes Retro

Georgous !! (Esp the wood one). What was the coloring medium used to add the white on the acrylic (just regular acrylic paint?) . Keep the videos coming !!

(Who can guess what music is on "Shell’s Mix ? :thinking: :grin:)

3 Likes

I’ll put in the guess Asaf Avidan “one day”.

1 Like

Wow this is wonderful!
Hopefully this will be in the catalog?

3 Likes

Pretty sweet!

V2 you could actually cut some window holes for the tape deck and gauges on the outer layer, move the engravings to the inner layer that’s now visible through those holes, and then cut some clear acrylic to fit in there. Then you could potentially have a different color top layer (or material) from the inside so the tape is a different color.

6 Likes

That’s really cool! I love the video, but the assembly went way to fast…we want more…(feed me Seymore!) - Rich :seedling:

5 Likes

I was just thinking about a project like this yesterday!
Been using a small cardboard box on its side. Second the catalog idea!
Thanks Bailey! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

ooh, combine this idea with the shoe-box projector, and you’ve pretty much got a full-function, laser-made smart home theatre!

10 Likes

I think it was an acrylic paint stick, but I’m not sure.

Love it. I could put Rag’n’Bone man’s Human album on loop :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Wow! Never heard of him before, what an incredible voice

4 Likes

That is one big guy. That is an awesome track

2 Likes

Whats funny is until you posted that video yesterday I had never heard of him. Then last night, I fall asleep with the tv on and wake to hear him on Fallen.

2 Likes

I just discovered him myself. He was apparently the break out star at the Bafta’s this year. Have a feeling we’ll be hearing a lot more of him in the future. Love his name too :smile:

1 Like

Interesting design. Basically it is acting like a resonating cavity on a stringed instrument, like an acoustic guitar. I bet you could look up an article or two on the physics of acoustic guitar sound and tweak the shape of the chamber slightly to make it even louder/fuller sounding.

1 Like

here is the ultra-simple version to get you by until the glowforge arrives.
It ain’t pretty.

5 Likes

The antique Victrola had a flip down door on the front of the resonance chamber and the bass enhancement of that was startling.
I have a few wooden cigar boxes, and one of them will evolve into a phone amp. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s actually an oil stick/paint stick. Basically like a large, soft crayon.

8 Likes

Oh I can’t wait for my Glowforge to come so I can try making the boombox; awesome!!!

4 Likes

Amazing, thanks!! :wink:

1 Like

very nice-thanks for sharing

2 Likes