New video! Valentine's Day <3 <3 <3

It seems like it comes up as a question for most of the videos they post, which is interesting to me since I have no experience, but they seem to continue to cut the outside before the inside on things regularly despite so many people saying they think it should be the other way around. Dan addressed it a bit above.

I personally will probably make a habit of cutting the outer shape last just in case.

7 Likes

Gooks great! What kind of paper was that? (Brand? Weight?)

1 Like

That’s my practice. Even if it works most of the time, I know it won’t when I’m doing an important thing like a card for my wife :slight_smile: with the very last piece of suitable stock - then I’m pretty sure it’ll skitter all over the bed and fly up and catch on fire :smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for that. I never really noticed before. Just that this was paper and I saw it curl here and there and it struck me as an odd order to do things in. Like you, I’ve no experience. So figured I’d try to get an answer.

3 Likes

I assume there is no “proofgrade” paper, so when I receive my GlowForge and want to cut something like this, is there (will there) be a preset or suggested preset (either in software or manual) for settings to cut cardstock. That is will I have to experiment or inquire from others what speed and power to use or will the software suggest at least ranges for settings for common non-Proofgrade things like cardboard and paper? Just curios!

3 Likes

We’re thinking about carrying a premium paper in the Proofgrade line with the protective coating you see in the video - it’s from a supplier we’re considering for that.

24 Likes

Ooh that could be super fun. I’d love to see some in the hands of the beta or pre-release users.

2 Likes

Ooooo, that’s great! I can’t wait to see it!

2 Likes

Well, it certainly works well!

2 Likes

In this particular case, cutting the inside first could be just as problematic as cutting the outside first.

Normally you do outer last to avoid slump of the component causing misalignment of the inner details.

But with paper… there should be NO slump. Instead the concern would be parts blowing around. The smaller parts are the most likely to blow, and if you are dialed in to exactly the right power for a cut, then having a small piece blow out and block a future line means that line won’t cut all the way through.

Granted… that is a problem regardless of order, as the small part could blow over an inner line just as easily as an outer one. And of course I cannot think of why anyone would bother to figure out the precise power to barely cut through a single layer of paper.

10 Likes

Is that a question for engineers or end users? Yes, Glowforge has asked that question and as an end user, I can say that it took only a few minutes to figure the kiss cut for @cynd11’s kitty stickers.

And because Valentines Day!

Inspiring video. I have some nice colored heavy paper for my return to test out on. Not much of a card sender/giver these days but the Glowforge might convince me to do my own.

As to cut order, blowing bits of paper can be an issue. Your masking needs to say adhered or it could interfere and the same with light things like foam.

I’d be more interested to see if all the border of hearts were cut sequentially. It doesn’t look so. Sometimes the laser operations within a specific part mystify me and then I look at my design and see how it’s laid out.

7 Likes

When you explain it it makes sense why it’s different for paper but I wouldn’t have thought of that so thanks for taking the time.

1 Like

Say it with lasers… next Valentines :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t know about that print, but I’ve been doing a bunch of personal paper cuts on the same material without weights or air assist adjustment of any sort.

14 Likes

Grayt video @bailey and your sense of humor is really refreshing. D’awwwww.

2 Likes

Was there any actual benefit to finding the kiss cut? Or you just wanted to do so?

They were doing stickers, so a kiss cut makes sense.

3 Likes

It makes it a lot easier to remove the backing from a sticker if the backing remains behind in one large piece. Or I should say, remove the sticker from the backing.

4 Likes

On the subject of laser cut cards, this was a birthday card my Wife gave me for my 31st. The first example of laser cut art I ever saw, I kept it just because it was so cool! I’m 61 now. That’s how long I have dreamt of having a laser.

Thanks to Glowforge, not much longer now…

39 Likes

Since the cats were a series on a sheet, the sheet could stay intact and the easier for removing one sticker at a time.

4 Likes