New York Maker Faire

Why don’t we do that - come up with a design and post it. If you’ve got a laser, make your own. If you don’t but you’re going post that too and let’s see if there are enough of us who are already laser enabled can make them for the others. That way we don’t distract the staff from building our machines. We can always ask them to do a custom engrave at the booth on what we bring.

4 Likes

I love the visual this gave. Very funny! :laughing:

4 Likes

While I don’t think I would look good in a tiara, I would wear it if it has the Glowforge logo on it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Wow, I was thinking $5 worth of laser cut avery labels, but maple would be awesome!

1 Like

@polarbrainfreeze, don’t you think it would be a great opportunity for Glowforge to come to the new FUZEnation consumer tech show in Kitchener? It’s September 27/28, just a few days before the NY Maker Faire on Oct. 1/2, only a few short hours drive between the two cities. And I mean hey. . . who wouldn’t want to get the chance to get their product in front of the one and only Woz!

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/consumer-tech-show-bringing-steve-wozniak-to-kitchener-1.3011658

I’m pretty sure Thalmic labs, the company my son works for will probably be there with their Myo Gesture Control Armband as well.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Convince your son to integrate Myo with the Glowforge. Nothing more fun than slicing wood with a twitch of your arm! :stuck_out_tongue:

I just booked a hotel with Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport. So if anyone else is staying there, it’ll be easy to hang out after one of the days of Faire activities (Arriving late Friday, leaving early Monday, so possibly a bit of carpooling to/from the airport as well, neh?)

1 Like

I have a Myo and it’s cool, but this is the Readers Digest version of the REAL cool type application of the unit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I haven’t acquired one yet, because all I would do with it is play around. The potential for actual applications with it is astounding.

I am curious if the Myo guys have seen the work done with VR and rehabilitation. Could maybe work for learning to use the Myo as well, one of their theories is that the brain re-trains while working in the VR world (the subjects all had physical disability, so the same path should not have been available).

2 Likes

I don’t know if they are going down that VR road. My son says they have some mind blowing things in the works, but that he can’t talk (or even whisper) about any of it. And I understand.

I first thought the MYO sensed muscle movement, but it in fact picks up the electrical impulses that generate muscle movement. Thalmic is a VC funded entity. They have a crazy cool technology and hopefully it will evolve into some great applications on the medical frontier.

1 Like

I agree that it’s a good opportunity for GF. But unfortunately, Kitchener is almost as far from me as New York is (5.5 hour drive vs 7.5 hour drive).

The Myo Gesture Control Armband looks really cool. I have a few ideas on how we could use it at my work.

1 Like

Looking at my flight info I realized I make a connection in Seattle. Suddenly I have unrealistic hopes of finding some Glowforge staff on the same flight (which is impossible, since they would all arrive before Friday)

9 Likes

You are well on your way to becoming Glowforge’s first groupie. :laughing:

Or stalker :wink:

4 Likes

Potatoe, patatoe.

6 of one, half-life dozen of the other. :wink:

3 Likes

What minimum age do you guys think is good to attend? I.E. are 5 & 3 too young?

The biggest problem with kids that young is that they won’t appreciate how freakingly awesome it is. They just assume that it’s more wonderfulness that is commonplace in their world view. They don’t realize that so much of what’s being done at Maker Faires is just incredible because it’s being done by normal folk. A group of people working on designing and building payloads to ship to the space station for experiments is something adults understand is not something that everyone would expect to be in the purview of the guy next door. Little kids aren’t colored by what is normally “possible”. They’ll see the R2D2 society and it’s just another movie character that’s real. To us, it’s an incredible bit of engineering and machinery to have a full size operating R2 unit rolling around.

2 Likes

Hhhmmm, I hear you. Do you think they will have fun, though, just seeing and interacting with the things there, or will they be bored because a lot of it is maybe too technical or too “adult”, etc?

I’ve never been to one, so I have zero frame of reference…

It’s a giant playground. They’ll love it. There are a lot of displays. Most everything is hands-on. There are educational sessions but you don’t have to make them sit through those. The place is big, pretty open so it’s not “omg people are crushing me” crowded. Lots of food vendors so you can keep them fed and in ice creams :wink: It’s a giant geekfest. Good for them to get early exposure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!

I attended Bay Area with my 6 and 2.5 year old. The 2.5 year old now constantly plays pretend that he is “Going to California” and talks about the Maker Faire all the time. Whenever we say cryptically that we “are going to do something very nice” he immediately responds “We are going to the Maker Faire?!”

So yeah… the kids will have a blast.

But… if you want to spend time at any one booth, bring someone else who can watch the tykes. Their interests and yours will likely not align all the time, and they will have probably ZERO patience for waiting while you push through a crowd and hope for time to talk with a maker or watch a demo.

Hopefully your youngest is beyond the point of needing naps. That was hard to accomplish with ours, and his mood certainly showed the lack toward the end of each day. By the third day he was so tired he was actually able to fall asleep in spite of the crowds, but the first two days were rough.

I am choosing not to drag the family with me to NY, and as a result of that decision have decided to also NEVER TELL THE KIDS WHERE I AM GOING. Daddy is just “going to a conference” and absolutely nothing more.

8 Likes