New York Maker Faire

@jamesdhatch @jacobturner

These replies are perfect, thanks so much…

If I do go, it will probably be just for one of the two days, and maybe just bring the 5 year old…the 3 year old is a serious handful to begin with…

1 Like

Sure, daddy goes to Disney World and the kids sit at home. Nice :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a good point.
Took my son to the Grand Canyon at 3. He doesn’t remember a thing.
But then, that’s the world they will live in. For me, Earth has always had TV.
The kids will have their own perspective of the wonders that have evolved in their lives that their kids wont appreciate.
:notes:Just as it ever was

1 Like

I stalked them last October. Hung out at Ghostfish for 2 hours, but the few Glowfolks who had been there earlier had left.

1 Like

I celebrated the 60th Wedding Anniversary of a Boeing employee who had a key job on the Saturn V rocket in the sixties. They had six kids they dragged from Seattle to Huntsville to put a human on the moon. I have pretty well accepted the fact that I had a great family growing up, but boy Oh boy, did I envy their kids.

My kids tell me we’re one of those families. I just figure we’re who we are. I would have been ADHD if that existed when I grew up. Now I’m just DaVinci Complexed :slight_smile: I have always been interested in almost anything and pretty fearless about learning anything by doing (not recommended for surgery btw :slight_smile:)

My kids grew up in a house where gadgets came monthly and as tech accelerated almost daily. Everything was fair game. Beekeeping? Check. Scuba? Check. Motorcycle racing? Check. Competitve BBQ? Check. Brick oven pizza? Design & build a brick oven. Baby girl joining the sons? Build an addition. Paintball? Build a range in the backyard. Skateboards? Half-pipe in the driveway. Oooo…see a pretty glass bead necklace? Lampworking in the rec room. Gas freakishly expensive? Let’s convert the Fiero to electric. (And yeah, computers, 3D printers, and lasers.) My wife is extremely tolerant. :wink:

So the kids have no hesitation in trying to do or learn anything that interests them. They don’t worry about breaking things too much (they’ll fix em). Everything is a potential adventure. They tell us we’re their friends’ favorite parents.

Wife & I figure we’ve done our job - they’ve been unleashed on the world now :smile:

9 Likes

I am still flipping the coin if I want to drive down I am in MA greater Springfield area

It is amazing for kids both large and small, although the advice to keep it kid-focused is wise. There’s a million things to entertain them if that’s your focus, but they will get bored/overwhelmed with the stuff grownups like if they’re young.

@marmak3261, sorry we missed you!

1 Like

Sooooo, can anyone guess: What’s got 2 thumbs and is going to one of the 2 days?

[spoiler]THIIIIIIS GUUUUUYYYYY!!

[/spoiler]

:grinning:

2 Likes

What day are you going?

Probably Sunday; easier for my parents and in laws to come over to our house and visit with the wife and little one on that day while the older one and I go have fun!

Are you going, too?!

Yea, planning on Sunday!

1 Like

My wife & I will be there all day Saturday :grinning: Her first MakerFaire.

2 Likes

Awesome, we should all try to meet up somehow…

Anyone know good restaurants in the area that won’t already be taken up with a crew meeting?

I am sure that the Making It podcast will have a meeting somewhere (the Diresta/Pichudo one). Maybe even at Jimmy’s place (Going to try and find that while in the area…)

1 Like

Now there’s a thought if oxygen wasn’t an issue send a GF to the ISS they may even find a practical use for it in space. Just a thought

I don’t know very much about Queens…The Bronx, however, is my stomping grounds, and you will not find better Italian Food anywhere else than The Boogie Down, except for maybe equally good food in Eataly in the Flatiron District of Manhattan.

Don’t even THINK of going to Little Italy in Manhattan for Italian food…the food in those restaurants is sub-par & nothing but a Tourist Trap, believe me.

If you like Italian Food, then I recommend either Eatly in Manhattan: Eataly New York Flatiron: restaurants, private dining and catering | Eataly

Or where I grew up, and still live 10 minutes away from: Little Italy in the Belmont section of the Bronx…it’s only about a 25 minute drive (without traffic) from the Maker Faire location. People are scared of the Bronx, and there are very bad areas, true, but if you stick to the main shops area then you have nothing to worry about.

General info about the neighborhood:

Couple of good restaurants:

Dominick’s: Redirecting...

Mario’s: mariosrestarthurave.com

But where the area REALLY shines, is fresh / imported food that you buy to cook yourself at home.

If you like ravioli or other freshly made pasta that you can take home & cook, then THIS place is to die for…you will not find a better ravioli anywhere in the world. My favorite is a box of 100 small cheese raviolis for I think $12.00:

www.borgattis.com

As you can see, it’s very popular, lol. The line is hardly ever this long, though:

If you like Dry Italian Sausage, Sopressata, or fine fresh meats, then this place is off the charts:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biancardis-Meats/155478047847941

There’s a ton of shops, where you will find incredible goodness. These are some pics from the other butcher shops in the area, but personally I like the flavor of the sausages from Binacardi’s the best; the bacteria strain they use for fermenting it results in the creamiest / most buttery tasting sausage anywhere.

If you have the means of making to the area, then I highly recommend it.

12 Likes

Thanks for sharing these foodie pictures! They look amazing! I have to urge to make some raviolis tonight! Yum Yum Yum!

1 Like

Wow! (Stomach growls)
'scuse me while I go stuff my face!

3 Likes

Anytime!

There’s also fresh seafood…

There are two great seafood stores in the neighborhood (nothing compared to Seattle, of course, but still great):

And if you want great seafood restaurants, then City Island (about 10 minutes from Arthur Avenue) is awesome, too…Friday & Saturday night traffic can be BRUTAL, though; you’ve been warned! lol

6 Likes