Newbie first project (card organizer, Baltic birch)

Last time I did anything with wood was over 40 years ago in (what was then required) woodshop.

I managed to make this as my first practical Glowforge project. It is a card organizer for the board game World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch.

Stuff I learned: how to layout a tray using boxes.py, how to make changes to it (move a divider, remove tabs, engrave), prototyping with cardboard and working with low-cost Baltic birch. The tolerances to make everything fit were very tight. The reason one compartment is labeled is that those cards have to go there in order to fit under the game box’s lid… just barely :wink:

BTW, since I found this hard to find, I ended up with 150 speed / 75 power as good cut settings for the 1/8" Baltic birch plywood in order to minimize scorching (I used transfer tape on the boards too).

42 Likes

Nice! Just as an FYI, I find that the medium maple ply PF settings work well for 1/8" baltic birch.

4 Likes

https://community.glowforge.com/t/settings-for-1-8-baltic-birch-engraving-and-cutting/16120

Just search for the material name and settings, it’s probably out there unless you have a really weird material. Baltic is so common, there are many posts about this :slight_smile:

I started there (medium maple plywood), but the underside scorching was severe, which led me down the road of trying many other settings.

1 Like

Thanks, I did find the post, but it seemed to be mostly about engraving and was using a Pro while I have a basic Glowforge (so I assume full power is different).

3 Likes

That turned out great! :grinning:

3 Likes

Your help was vital!

4 Likes

Great consolidation for your game! The bonus to the education the project gave you. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That is correct. Full power is different on a Pro and Basic. The power settings from 1 to 100 are identical between the two.

2 Likes

BwaaaaHaaaaaaa we have recruited another victim into our fold… Welcome to sleepless nights!

3 Likes

You forgot the word “smokey”… “sleepless, smokey nights” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

True… but SOOO worth it! (And when in doubt… you have a LASER!):sunglasses:

Very nice first project! Practical yet beautiful.

2 Likes

There’s nothing like the excitement of bringing it all together! Nice job!