Newbie in startup have basic question: Photo -> Engrave?

Hi everyone,

My first post here. Got my GF now and are so eager to get going.

I wanna take a photo of my daughter and engrave it on a proof made material, I thought it would be fairly easy but so faar I dont get it to work well. Do anyone have any good guide how to do this or can spend a min to give some good “guidlines”.

Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

Need a bit more info. Do you have the file? or a printed photo? Direct placing a photo on the crumb tray doesn’t work well yet. It wants two color designs and not grayscale images. If you have the image on your computer, then it is much more direct.

1 Like

Try and post some pictures of what you have, I also got mine this week and trying all kinds op options. The SD and HD engrave is a very clear difference. But indeed, need some more info.

1 Like

This is the original picture, they only thing I tried is to put it into Inkscape and make it Grayscale. When i tried to print it in the GF I made the picture very small, around 4 inches, could that also be a problem?

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Another question, do anyone know what Focus hight means when you manual settings?

I think you should check out the tutorials in the Glowforge Tips and Tricks section. There are many that answer these types of questions…

2 Likes

Focus height is the height above the crumb tray that the laser focuses on. You normally set that to be the thickness of your sheet for best cutting and high res engraving detail. You can focus it higher to get a bigger spot when engraving at lower LPI settings to avoid seeing discrete lines.

1 Like

Perfect, helped alot Palmercr. Love that people is so helpful :):grinning:

1 Like

Great teamwork @cynd11 and @palmercr! Thanks for the assist with the link to the tutorials and the clear focus height explanation.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any more questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like