No cut option only engrave

I want to cut out patterns on a blank canvas with an image I have saved. The only problem is on the options to pick cut, I can only engrave . Is there a software or program I can use to just cut. The app.glowforge .com is too confusing and does not explain anything. please help

2 Likes

It’s probably a raster type image, and those can only be engraved until you create vector paths for the machine to follow. :slightly_smiling_face:

You have a couple of options.

If you want to do it in the Glowforge interface, you can use the Trace function to create cutlines around the pattern elements.

Or you can use the auto-trace ability in any 2D vector based program to create your own cutlines before saving the file as an SVG and bringing it into the Glowforge interface.

There are a series of tutorials in a spreadsheet called the Matrix that will show you how to do it for whatever design software you choose to use.

If you’re completely new to laser cutting and vector design, I’d highly recommend starting with the tutorials at the top of that spreadsheet - they explain a lot about using the interface, and will wind up saving you a lot of time in the long run. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Thanks @Jules!

@lisascraftythings, Did you get to try Jules’ suggestions? Let me know if you still need help!

Hi Jaz,
I did try that and it did work. The problem we’re having is we’re finding it very hard to try and cut something out. To even a simple square to bring it over from something else and put it on the glow Forge and cut it. I think I need Dan Shapiro to come here personally show me how to do this! Lol seems like the simplest things are so hard for us to do. I’m not a techy person at all and this is just overwhelming me.

1 Like

I think for people like me, they should’ve made a basic manual on how to use the glow Forge in different instances working with different medias and textures. For instance how to etch on glass, how to cut something out. I’m sorry I don’t mean to sound like an idiot.

1 Like

Not at all! But Glowforge doesn’t make any glass, for example, at this time so they really couldn’t possibly recommend settings that would work on every thickness, color, and other variance of glass in the world. And that holds true for really anything. Also consider that, for some things, it’s a matter of personal tastes. We just need to briefly experiment with new materials to find settings that we like. Keep a log of what settings you like for what materials. Also keep in mind that many materials can vary tremendously even when you buy them from the same location, so last week’s settings might not work on this week’s wood. Proofgrade materials bring that kind of stress down with consistency. But certainly Glowforge has only scratched the surface of laserable materials for sale. Until then, a few minutes of testing will get you where you want to go.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if you have additional questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!