No laser beam to cut material

I have a new issue now. My laser will not cut all at. It powers up and the arm and head moves like it is cutting, but it’s not. There’s no beam coming down to the material to cut it. Also, there is no light in the tube. I’ve checked the the cables, cleaned the pins to no avail.

I’m currently waiting on a new lid cable since I had issues with it beginning of last week.

Yeah, you need the replacement cable for it to work. Just hang tight till it comes in. :slightly_smiling_face:

Suggest you post the time (and timezone) of your last attempt to print, so support can check the logs when they see this post.

The lid cable has nothing to do with laser power, so unfortunately it sounds like the machine now has a bad power supply or tube. Support can confirm that the laser was being commanded to fire during that print. If so, it will need to be replaced.

I’m sorry about the trouble with this. If your Printer Head is moving but you aren’t seeing the laser marking your material, there are two likely causes:

• The mirror in the Printer Head is not installed correctly and may have been damaged.
  • The print power has been set to the lowest possible setting.

First, please inspect the mirror in the Printer Head

• Follow these instructions to access the Printer Head mirror.

• If you see damage to the mirror or the plastic handle (for example, if the plastic handle has been melted), please check the interior of the Printer Head for any additional damage. If you don’t see any signs of physical damage inside the Printer Head you can purchase a replacement Printer Head Mirror through the shop. Note: If there is damage to the plastic handle on the mirror, the mirror may be difficult to remove. You can follow the instructions here for removing a mirror that is stuck.

• Once you receive your replacement mirror, please clean both the lens and Printer Head window, by following these cleaning instructions.

• If you find any damage in the Printer Head, please take a photo of the damage and send it to us and we’ll follow up with next steps.

If the mirror looks good, do a test print

• If the mirror is undamaged, please reinstall the mirror.

• Place a sheet of Proofgrade material in the bed of your Glowforge and open the Gift of Good Measure design.

• Before starting the print, please select the default Proofgrade settings. Once the material has been chosen you will see the word, “Cut”, “Score”, or “Engrave” under each step in the design.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the lid image updates.

• If the design prints successfully, it is likely that the power was set too low on the previous print.

• If you still don’t see the laser marking the material, please reply here including the date and time (with time zone) when your test print was run. We’ll check the logs and see what we can find.

I’ve look at the mirror and there are no issues with it. The handle looks great too.

I’ve now placed proofgrade material in the machine and started it up, but I can’t get the machine to center and ready to cut. I posted an issue last week about having issues with having to turn the machine off after each cut because it was stuck in “scanning” mode. You kindly informed me it was the a lid cable and it needed to be replaced. So as you suggested, I bought a new one. Your package arrived today, but there was nothing in it. It was just an empty shipping tube with no caps at the ends and a packing slip taped to the outside. So I’m a stuck and frustrated.

I attempted to cut yesterday 8/2 around 2pm eastern. The last successful cut I had was friday 7/31 between 12-4 eastern.

Same thing just happened to me. I was in the middle of and engrave and it stopped having a beam. Went through motions and everything. No light in tube. Runs like it is getting the job done and says complete at the end. But nothing is cut or engraved.

I am waiting on a shipping label… I haven’t heard back from them since Friday morning. I asked them what the issue was since they quoted me between $400-$1000 and still haven’t gotten that answer yet either.

Hello… I still need help. I’m really trying to be patient, but I need my machine back up and running as it’s the key part to my business. I’m becoming very disappointed with the Glowforge company and experience.

Start a new email or post in Problems and Support. They will eventually get around to checking this one and closing it, but they will likely miss your add-on post…this is information they need ASAP and New Threads are checked daily.

Just tell them you did not get the cable they sent.

Thanks for the insight. I’ve emailed Support a couple of times already, but I’ll open up another thread.

I’m sorry again that package arrived without a cable.

It looks like Semhar has gotten a replacement order taken care of so I’m going to close this thread for now.

If you’re still having trouble after replacing the black cable, please let us know right away, and we’ll get you taken care of.