Non-climate controlled storage

Does anyone keep their machine in a space that isn’t climate controlled? I have completely taken over my stepsons room and need to move my machine so he can have his space back. There’s nowhere else to put it except in my “she shed”, which is not insulated or climate controlled. I know it’s not recommended but wondering if I can swing it somehow by wrapping it up in blankets or something when it’s not in use? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

As long as the space stays within the specified environment, it will be fine.

From the manual, you should avoid:

• Temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (5 Celsius) or over 120 degrees Fahrenheit (48 Celsius)
  • Extreme humidity conditions (below 10% or more than 75%)
2 Likes

You may find that a low power lizard warmer underneath - while wrapped in blankets is needed if you live somewhere that gets really cold…which requires power but not very much.

It’s also guaranteed to need extra time to warm up when you want to use it - since operating temps are much higher than 40°

2 Likes

Note that eflyguy posted the storage environment, not the operating environment.

Knowing where you live would be helpful. Heat is more likely an issue in Tucson and cold could be a problem in Fairbanks.

2 Likes

These are the operating temps you should be aware of:
The Glowforge Basic is designed for use between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75°F (24°C). The Pro has an expanded operating range up to 81°F (27°C).

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I live in NC and it gets hot and humid in the summer and does reach below freezing in the winter sometimes. I don’t have power in the shed either… was planning on running a cord from the house. Not so confident in this idea but idk what else to do. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

I keep mine in the garage which is insulated and non-climate controlled that I tuned into a Man Cave. The first thing I did was ensured the door had a tight seal then bought a heater from Home Depot. Now the garage stays at a nice 72 degrees in the cold months here in Indiana.

3 Likes

Using the lizard warmer and a blanket should be fine for a NC winter.

Taking a second look at the humidity spec, 75% is not extreme. If there is dew on the grass the humidity hit 100% - there won’t be dew in the shed, but the humidity was over 75%. Does the humidity in NC ever fall below 75%? In the mountains maybe?

I’m thinking the she-shed needs power.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. It’s on the to-do list. That would solve a lot of problems. The humidity is all over the place here too.

1 Like

The humidity gets high in the summer so I use a de humidifier to get back down to about 50% to 60%. When it gets hot I just turn on my cooling system I constructed especially for the GF.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.