Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

This is pretty crazy, an AI generated standup routine written in Jerry Seinfeld’s style, and then performed by an AI using deepfake-esque voice simulation to make it sound like Jerry performed it.

Nothing in this project involved Jerry at all, it’s wild.

6 Likes

Wow! That’s sorta scary well-done.

5 Likes

Yeah really made me think about how AI based chatbots are probably good enough that I may have talked to one on the phone by now and not known it.

7 Likes

When we get most of our information from a display, the ability to manipulate information digitally gave us a world where we can no longer believe what we see or hear. Humanity needs a sharp BS detector. Environmentally, it’s an evolutionary pressure. A new aspect of natural selection. :upside_down_face:
“The first principle is not to allow yourself to be fooled - and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

4 Likes

Natural selection no longer applies.

Look at who has babies and who doesn’t.

Well, actually I guess natural selection is still in force, it’s just selecting for something different than you’d expect based on history. H G Wells’ Time Machine seems to have gotten it right.

2 Likes

Oh, this is good:

Seems like it might be laserable… certainly 3d printable, but I haven’t hunted to see if there’s a public file for it.

Hmm who did that braille project… Ah, @SeanK:

6 Likes

I love restoration videos especially to see the tool/art in its original glory, as the maker intended. This video violates that, but it’s really cool! (He makes the tool into a thing it never was, but it’s still functional.) In for a penny, in for a pound…

3 Likes

I sat here mesmerized. Fascinating. Way more work than I would ever do…and gees…that guy has so many sophisticated tools at his disposal. Very cool.

2 Likes

Aesthetically? He certainly demonstrates functional restoration.

2 Likes

Yes, now it’s a work of art. I always thought “restoration” meant returning it to its original form, warts and all.

4 Likes

He seems weird about that, going way out of his way to keep the insides of even a bolt from the original piece but massively cutting away and even re-designing the shape of the outside of it. :roll_eyes:

(and now y-tube is showing me a hundred other restorations :face_with_spiral_eyes:)

3 Likes

I’m still surprised no one has worked out a way to make the glowforge steppers play a tune. It’s one of those things that should be pretty easy to do if you have any musical talent. (which I don’t)

6 Likes

I did think about sampling some the sounds the Glowforge makes to create a MIDI instrument but, that’s not quite at the same level.

2 Likes

Every design is its own tune, but the Glowforge does not know the words so it just hums the tune.

1 Like
2 Likes

Some very nifty things going on there.

1 Like

I haven’t seen one of these before - amazing. Thanks for pointing it out!

3 Likes

Neither had I. Isn’t that cool? A clamping surface that conforms to the object’s geometry.

1 Like

I love a good puppet:

More pics:
https://dinosaurnews.tumblr.com/post/682886579042304000/sensry-velociraptor-string-puppet

This is a good time to bring up Barnaby Dixon, a talented puppet designer. All of his videos are great, this is a recent one I hadn’t seen yet:

6 Likes

My middle son has been serving on the deck of the USS Ronald Reagan out of Japan.

3 Likes