Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Lunch was delivered by drone today. Fastest delivery order I’ve ever received, faster than anyone could have driven it the same distance. Very cool new service here!

The man in the yellow vest is a required observer by the FAA since drone deliveries are only allowed under a test program right now. The drone actually stays above the tree line at all times, and only lowers down a grappling hook to pick up and drop off deliveries. They’re stored inside the drone while in flight.

13 Likes

Welcome to the future.
What did they deliver and was it still hot?

3 Likes

My wife and I decided to get lunch in this park, which is one of their allowed delivery zones. From our car’s panoramic glass roof we watched the drone fly over to the restaurant, bypassing all the intersections and highways between here and there, then just minutes later fly back and drop the food in the grass next to the parking lot we were in. The food was two burgers and fries from “Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers”, and it arrived hot and fresh!

11 Likes

i watched the video before reading anything, and for a split second thought it was a slo-mo of the lunch being “dropped” to you from 50 ft up. then realized it was on a cable.

5 Likes

Thats why they didn’t have the sunroof open. :smiley:

4 Likes

Amazing. Did it cost extra to have it delivered that way that using UberEats, Doordash, Grubhub, etc? None of which I’ve ever used.

To add to the did it cost extra question… Did you have to tip the drone? :rofl:

1 Like

For now, they’re not charging any extra fees or tips. We only had to pay for the food.

2 Likes

Wow, the wreck of the Endurance was found…

9 Likes

That is really cool.

1 Like
4 Likes

Very interesting. I would love to be able to do something like this on the :glowforge:

Then a mechanical music box would be possible… maybe one day.

2 Likes

you could probably do some of these parts on the GF out of acrylic or wood.

1 Like

Yeah; I was thinking maybe some thinner acrylic would work.

But I definitely want to finish my clock first. Only one major project at a time.

5 Likes

Perhaps keep an eye out for a Casio mini at a thrift store in the meantime? The only hard bit would be the vertical part of the back which could be living hinge or hot air gun on acrylic. If you used veneer and living hinge you could make it out of wood and you can’t do that with a 3d printer! (actually one of my major reasons for choosing Glowforge as I could make stuff out of actual wood.)

11 Likes

That is great, but if you live in such an apartment how do you manage such a build, and if you have the ability to build it how is it you have the need? If your kid is going away to college studying music perhaps. Even buying it would be a challenge if that was where you lived.

1 Like

the ability to use someone else’s shop (or a maker location).

and if you play piano but have no room for one, isn’t that the need?

1 Like

I actually have such a Casio that could be placed on any table and placed on its side as you would a book when not in use. If you were a composer that would be a useful kit but not many composers are living that close to the bone. I made jewelry for years while living in a 40’ school bus in which more than half was shop but then I never had the need for a place for a computer or other electronics as they had not been invented at that time.

1 Like

remember not to take your personal situation/life and impose it on others. i have plenty of friends who love music who lived in tiny apartments in NYC for years. plenty of them would have LOVED this.

1 Like