Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

It is certainly more the case now than years past. I have managed to stay ahead of that (the bus was such a pretty successful dodge at that time) but have known a great many who were otherwise.

Makerspaces are a response to that situation, and other cities are different than my awareness as indeed a 500 sqft space in much of NYC would cost as much as a very roomy house elsewhere.

I have seen a trend however that personal makerspaces that were once common are rapidly vanishing. I have a book from my father’s childhood days that was made up of “maker articles” from Popular Mechanics around the turn of the last century and the most stunning thing about it is the POV and expectations of the shop space availability and junk hanging around everywhere. There were whole sections of things you could do with battery jars and WW1 helmets that I gather were a sudden influx at the time the book was printed, but many of the reprinted articles were from well before that war.

This is so cool! My place isn’t a tiny apartment…but pretty small. I’d love to have something like this.

2 Likes
4 Likes

For those doing gardening I have has very good results from these people and the array of their products is stunning.

4 Likes

Yeesh it’s time for something to change with wealth gaps in the world.

4 Likes

“for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.”

“Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.”

3 Likes

if you’re a programmer, this will be pretty amazing. If not, maybe interesting?

It’s crazy what 256 bytes can do in the right person’s hands.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Huh, that is really cool. A little imprecise, but that’s ok as long as you know what you’re getting into. Very nice.

Fascinating! Now I’m having to talk myself out of a 3D printing setup.

3 Likes

I just saw this…i need it. I was trying to think of something similar last year, but i got sidetracked and now the keyboard had been in the closet almost a year because i have no where to put it without it getting under foot.

So now, I’m looking at my son’s desk thinking how I’m going to fit a full sized keyboard under it.

4 Likes
16 Likes

This looks cool. May have to try it with my shaper origin

2 Likes

Consumer/enterprise drone tech has gotten really good.

The cameras, the software, the thoughtful design allowing for hot battery swaps… this rig would pay for itself very quickly with just about any search and rescue team.

10 Likes

That’s an impressive drone. What’s to keep a nosey neighbor from peeking in your window with one of these in a few years?

2 Likes

$14,700 currently.

In the future when it’s much cheaper? Not much, except social norms and decent humanity.

4 Likes

Or, if you are handy: inexpensive computer vision tech + a cheap laser. A few toasted image sensors and, looking in your window becomes less appealing.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s nothing preventing your neighbor from creeping in your bushes with binoculars and doing the same now, yet it’s not super common. I’m not sure the drone angle really changes the equation.

5 Likes

I like @evermorian idea. My neighbors won’t want to get involved with the thorny bushes around my windows. :sunglasses:

2 Likes