Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

+1 for social norms and human decency. It’s easy to overestimate the risk of others behaving badly.

3 Likes

Bougainvillea is such a pretty plant. So much nicer than barbed wire fences but no less threatening.

2 Likes

A good SLR with telephoto lens can put the drone to shame for close-ups of naked neighbors. The use of drones to spy on people is almost always raised by non-drone people.

Frankly even if I could see my neighbors doing something (and drone camera resolutions although impressive aren’t so good they make for great home movies), they’re just not interesting enough to make it worth the effort. Even if I were interested in perving out someone, I think there are better free sources of that kind of movie fodder just a few keyboard clicks away.

3 Likes

Yeah, the field of view of a drone camera is intentionally wide so very little detail is captured of any particular object. Should be far more worried that their super smart refrigerator is uploading photos from a midnight snack run.

2 Likes

Or their alexa is spying on them or their ring camera data is being given to the cops or their tv is covertly connecting to unsecured wifi and scanning your devices (e.g. cellphones that are in the room) to tell advertisers who is watching what….

4 Likes

The Primitive technology channel is back in fine form.

Pro tip: turn on captions, he provides notes.

5 Likes

How a mechanical watch works.

7 Likes

I saw that yesterday and almost posted it here, too. Super interesting.

Apparently some commenter said that the author coded the visualizations in webGL by hand, which sounds crazy to me.

Great resource, very cool.

3 Likes

Or a laser engraver is taking our photos while we engrave in our jammies. Or not :wink:

4 Likes

For anyone in Southern California this weekend who’s in the market for electronics parts (think STEAM, I’m not affiliated, just get their newsletters)

4 Likes

Wow.

https://www.layersoflondon.org/

If you have any interest in the city of London this site is up your alley. The section on Lost London is amazing, charting historic sites and bygone attractions. It’s an amazingly deep site overall, surprised I never heard of it until now.

8 Likes

Magnets, man. This is cool stuff.

Be sure to unmute.

6 Likes

Mega-late commenting on your post but I love this channel!

2 Likes
4 Likes

That bionic reading thing is interesting. I saw it earlier today and it had the text side-by-side with the original and I made the mistake of reading the bionic first, so I don’t know if I was any faster with it when re-reading it in “normal mode”.

I saw a similar thing once about how people can read text if the first and last letters are proper but everything else is scrambled, lkie tihs, it is frilay esay to fgriue the manenig of the ogirnial txet out.

Brains are weird.

4 Likes

what it comes down to is your brain remembers the shape of the word. so it unscrambles pretty well.

try doing that scrambled thing with all caps vs upper and lower case. you’ll find it a lot harder for your brain to unscramble. and this is why body text is rarely ever set in all caps. it’s just a whole lot harder to read.

6 Likes

Taken from here: https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/can-you-read

All caps version hidden so I don't blast your eyeballs right off. Click if you dare :)

I CNDUO’T BVLEIEE TAHT I CULOD AULACLTY UESDTANNRD WAHT I WAS RDNAIEG. UNISG THE ICNDEBLIRE PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID, AOCDCRNIG TO RSEECRAH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO’T MTTAER IN WAHT ODERR THE LTERETS IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IRPOAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RHGIT PCLAE. THE RSET CAN BE A TAOTL MSES AND YOU CAN SITLL RAED IT WHOUTIT A PBOERLM. TIHS IS BUCSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTTEER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. AAZNMIG, HUH? YAEH AND I AWLYAS TGHHUOT SLELINPG WAS IPMORANTT! SEE IF YUOR FDREINS CAN RAED TIHS TOO.

I’m not so sure it’s significantly harder to parse, but maybe?

I cnduo’t bvleiee taht i culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht i was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at cmabrigde uinervtisy, it dseno’t mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and i awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

i think i can still read the sentence case much quicker than the all caps.

2 Likes

Interesting, it does make sense that it wouldn’t be equally parseable for every person, there are lots of variables about how people approach reading. While I don’t see a large difference I’m just a sample size of one. Pretty cool anyway :slight_smile:

(BTW I don’t know is parseable is a word, but I am going with it, hah)

EDIT because I can’t just roll with stuff like this… turns out “parseable” is a valid spelling of “parsable”. So maybe I’ll take partial credit here :wink:

Just read that at full speed to the wife before showing her the text. No hesitation or thinking involved. She commented: “Wow. I guess that’s one time when having Dyslexia helps”.

6 Likes