Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Aesthetically? He certainly demonstrates functional restoration.

2 Likes

Yes, now it’s a work of art. I always thought “restoration” meant returning it to its original form, warts and all.

4 Likes

He seems weird about that, going way out of his way to keep the insides of even a bolt from the original piece but massively cutting away and even re-designing the shape of the outside of it. :roll_eyes:

(and now y-tube is showing me a hundred other restorations :face_with_spiral_eyes:)

3 Likes

I’m still surprised no one has worked out a way to make the glowforge steppers play a tune. It’s one of those things that should be pretty easy to do if you have any musical talent. (which I don’t)

6 Likes

I did think about sampling some the sounds the Glowforge makes to create a MIDI instrument but, that’s not quite at the same level.

2 Likes

Every design is its own tune, but the Glowforge does not know the words so it just hums the tune.

1 Like
2 Likes

Some very nifty things going on there.

1 Like

I haven’t seen one of these before - amazing. Thanks for pointing it out!

3 Likes

Neither had I. Isn’t that cool? A clamping surface that conforms to the object’s geometry.

1 Like

I love a good puppet:

More pics:
https://dinosaurnews.tumblr.com/post/682886579042304000/sensry-velociraptor-string-puppet

This is a good time to bring up Barnaby Dixon, a talented puppet designer. All of his videos are great, this is a recent one I hadn’t seen yet:

6 Likes

My middle son has been serving on the deck of the USS Ronald Reagan out of Japan.

3 Likes

Line crew? Plane Capitan? How old? Military discipline is exactly what this young fool needed. It slapped me awake from the ‘everything taken for granted’ mindset I had at 17 and introduced me to the cultures on the other side of the planet.

3 Likes

Yellow jersey for the last 5 years. He just arrived in Florida for some type of school and just turned 25.

2 Likes

You think he will re-up?

I think he will.

1 Like

Webb telescope vs Hubble telescope images. This is pretty amazing.

https://johnedchristensen.github.io/WebbCompare/

5 Likes

Wow! Those pics are stunning! I heard something about it on the news the other night, but I was in the kitchen making dinner and didn’t see the pics. So thanks for showing this.

1 Like

I think the images from each telescope are amazing, but the difference in detail is remarkable.

1 Like

The “star burst” effect from the new images appear “wrong”. Almost like the photo was edited. The streaks shouldn’t have a pattern them. Unless that is just some strange aberration from how the photo was taken. But I would expect accuracy not “flair” from a photo like this.

2 Likes