Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Domestika (video artclasses with a modern bent) is having their big holiday sale for the next 4 days, this one on traditional Kumiko woodworking is only $12.99.

I’m also intrigued by this geometric concrete casting process, I think some of the hand scoring he does to create the plastic sheet molds could be lasered.

3 Likes

If you haven’t really engaged with beatboxing lately, the state of the art has changed a lot in the past 10 years. New looping tools and techniques combine to make things that seem impossible. Check out Tom Thum, one of the best out there:

https://www.tiktok.com/@tomthummer/video/7046538541584698625?is_copy_url=0&is_from_webapp=v1&sender_device=pc&sender_web_id=7012613520055420421

5 Likes

Desktop pressure former.

It’s incredible how far things have advanced in so little time. We’ve been making controlled noise as a species since the beginning, and suddenly there are a host of new noises being perfected.

Hmm pressure former vs vacuum former, I guess the big advantage is higher max pressure differential?

Pretty cool.

You also get sharper details, can have undercuts and can use deeply concave molds. Capabilities closer to injection molding with less tooling cost.

Yeah, all by virtue of the higher pressure, I take it? With vacuum at best you’ll get a bit under one atmosphere at sea level. This claims 4x that, iirc.

Partly higher pressure, partly getting pressure from both sides (both suck and blow vs vacuuform’s only suck)

Seems like I saw that mentioned somewhere.

1 Like

i’m sure this is not as good as it sounds, but it at least sounds interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocket1/rocket-1-worlds-fastest-and-most-accurate-dclf-3d-printer

3 Likes

Huh. Hyper-real carved cork buildings.

Interesting and very specific.

7 Likes

Also this stop motion video about making a milk crate is pretty cool.

9 Likes

All the tools are nice, but I need that butter knife.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Those cars look amazing.

Maybe a repost, idk.

You all know these concepts, it’s just interesting to see them all named and in one place. Whenever someone is being a jerk online, you can almost play fallacy bingo with their post/email/IM.

3 Likes

There are many but I have favored this one as you can pass on the specific fallacy in the link…

The usual answer of course " that is just a marxist political hack job!"

Astounding.

5 Likes

Epic!

1 Like

Took me a minute to get the story - I first read “Japanese Fishing Expert…” :laughing:

1 Like