Nostalgia Wednesday: Apple IIe

I think that you just opened up a rabbit hole for me. FloppyEMU - Must have. VidHD - Looks pretty cool.

Floppy Emu is very cool. It’s much easier than dealing with a stack of actual floppies, although sometimes I do somewhat miss the noise. :smile:

You can only put two 5.25" drives on a single disk controller, so in order to use that awesome DuoDisk 5.25" alongside the Floppy Emu you’d need a second disk controller card. (But Disk ][ controllers are cheap on eBay.)

Or if you can track down a “Liron” card (the Unidisk 3.5" controller) then you can have the Floppy Emu emulate 3.5" floppies or a Smartport hard disk. (Not both simultaneously, though, and the Liron card can’t handle 5.25" disks.)

1 Like

oh gosh, that brings back memories. That’s the first computer I worked on when I was in high school :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yay, Zork! Look, @timjedwards, happy memories! :wink:

2 Likes

With EDLIN so you could edit your batch files! :wink:

4 Likes

To this day, some of my most vivid video game image memories come from a text adventure… Zork was awesome!

2 Likes

If you have an iPad, the lost treasures of infocom is available. It has a bunch of their games.

Also there was a modern Xbox/pc/playstation game (black ops, I think) that had a secret terminal you could access in the pregame menu screen. You could play a fully functional zork in it. Craziest Easter egg.

5 Likes

Here’s a video on how to get to the Easter egg:

1 Like

Great, now I want to pull my GS out of the garage and set it up. Last time it ran everything worked, who knows what adventures I’ll Find. It’s a ROM 3 maxed with 5 whole megs of RAM and the original ZipGS(8MHz?). 5.25 and 3.5 with an external 90MB Seagate SCSI drive. I have the keyboard around somewhere, used it on a PC for a while.

4 Likes

My dad got an Apple //e when it came out. 64k of memory. When the “enhanced” upgrade came out it doubled it to 128K. Ah the memories…Wish we still had it. I remember playing the original Castle Wolfenstien with dual paddle controllers that you had to plug the chip at the end of the cable into the motherboard connector for it. My dad also had a daisy wheel printer for it. Got an A on the first research paper I turned after typing it on the Apple because the teacher could read it easily. Might just have to pick one up soon to play with. Still have some of the original software for it.

5 Likes

Mine is also a ROM 3. My ZipGSX is 10 MHz with 64k cache. I should see if I can get a 16 MHz 65C816 and the appropriate oscillator to upgrade it. (I’ve heard you can sometimes get them up to 20 MHz but that it’s kinda iffy and might need the voltage bumped up which is too scary for me to try.) I only have 3 MB of RAM. I really need to track down the right DRAM chips to max out my memory card.

3 Likes

I might have our original Mac kicking around in a box here somewhere. It was the original 128k Mac, serial number indicated it was in the neighborhood of #250 manufactured.

5 Likes

Started Out on a Sinclair Z80… Its been a long time :sunglasses:

2 Likes