Not cutting loop inside cursive text

Newbie here! I am trying to cut out a word in cursive but it is not making the inside cuts. Example- the word hello in cursive. The inside loop on the h and l’s isn’t cutting through. Thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Is it just not cutting all the way through, or is it not cutting them at all? (It would help to see the file or a screen shot of the results to try to identify the problem.)

It appears not cutting all the way through.

Easiest explanation would be the loops are a separate operation in the GFUI and you inadvertently set them to “score” or bumped the manual settings too low to cut. I can’t think of any other reason why it would only be the inner loops!

This was my first thing I was trying to make and I have already realized my mistake. Just needed a little muscle power to push it through. Thanks for the reply and hopefully I will figure out this glowforge world sooner rather then later! Thank you!

Ahhh, okay. Sometimes the design can impact how complete of a cut that you get…tight curves and angles at too high of a speed might not quite make it through.

You can either slow the speed down by about 5 points in the manual settings if you want to get everything done in one pass, or if you tape or pin down the backing material before you cut, and then do not move anything, you can check the cut with a pick or some folded tape to lift the cutout, and if it’s not complete, just send it to cut again. A second pass will generally take care of it.

The secret is to not let the backing material shift, or change anything you see on the screen image. :slightly_smiling_face:

These machines are suppose to cut inside then out, but that does not seem to necessarily be true. (that horse has been beaten into glue elsewhere and is beyond the scope of this conversation).

I have had several items that seemed to fail on the inside and all were from the same cause.
Even though you have pinned or used magnets to flatten the material, if the outside cuts first, the material may rise a little. Now you have a thickness measurement problem.
Does not take much, even an overlapped sheet of masking can cause issues.

Simple fix it to use a different color for the inner cut and the outer. Then make sure the inner cuts prior to the outer.
There are threads here that tell the cut order of colors, but just dragging the inner to the top of the list on the left sidebar will work just as well.

Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Believe me, sometimes you will make mistakes like (forget to merge the letters after convert them into lines instead of text) etc… we all do that! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!