Not cutting through on bottom right side of wood

Hello! I have only used my Glowforge a couple of times and am still getting used to it but it does not cut through proof grade material on the bottom right side of the machine. I’ve used up all of my proof grade material that came with the machine trying to fix the problem on my own. My husband googled the topic and realized that there is a lens on the left side of the machine that we didn’t even know about. haha I took the lens out and it had a sticky substance on it as if it had sticker residue. I cleaned it with the wipe that was enclosed in my box but I still can’t get the machine to cut on that bottom right side.

Ps. I tried to cut out the Gift of Good Measure but it was unsuccessful.

Your advice is appreciated!
Kim

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
You will find very clear cleaning and maintenance information under the “support” tab above.
There are a number of troubleshooting steps you can take, but sadly one of them is to print the Gift of Good Measure on proofgrade material. At the time you setup your machine, you were instructed to put one piece of draftboard aside for using if ever there was a problem with your Glowforge. The proofgrade materials are guaranteed to work with proofgrade settings.

You say the Gift of Good Measure print was unsuccessful, but support will need pictures of the result (front and back) along with the time and date of the print. In general, you need to make sure that ALL of the optics are clean, that the material is held absolutely flat to the honeycomb tray and that your machine is level.

5 Likes

Be sure to clean ‘all’ the lens’. I find the one of the side of the head AND the one on the left side of the machine as well as the camera to be the most common issue when this occurs…especially when using a lot of draftboard…

2 Likes

Hi. The first print of Gift of Good Measure was successful but it was in a different area in the machine. When I put it on the bottom right corner of the machine it doesn’t cut through.

I had cleaned all of the optics and made sure the tray was installed flat. I even used a level to make sure the machine was on a level surface.

I will send a pic.

I tried to cut these at 3:30 pm pst on 6/7/21

1 Like

I cut this one last night but had to break the board to detach it. As you can see on the left side of the board it’s cut through but the right side is not. :disappointed: The second picture is of the board upside down.

1 Like

Here’s how I used so much of my proof grade boards. The settings were of each board but still didn’t cut through.
I tried to recut the image but it messed it up…sooo I ended up cutting it diagonal. It was for my granddaughters birthday party and that was my only solution.
Sorry for all of the pictures but I wanted to give you a good ideas of what’s going on to see if you can help me fix the problem.

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

I am sure these pictures will help Support determine how to get your machine to cut better in the lower right corner. Luckily it is working pretty well in other areas of the bed, and you have scraps to use for testing. I am glad you were able to complete the project for your granddaughter’s birthday, but I bet it was frustrating and nerve wracking.

2 Likes

Hello @saylorgraedesigns I’m so sorry your Glowforge is not cutting on the right side. Thank you so much for all of your photos.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.